Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i decided to paint my gsr rims again so here we go...

Materials

-Sandpaper, u need 2 types a rough and smooth, a 400 and 800 will be OK
-Some orange glo stuff or simple green to clean rims
-1 can primer, I used Duplicolor Black sandable primer, cuz paint will stick better
-1 can VHT gold brake caliper paint
-1 can clear coat

Start off by givin the rims a nice wash and scrub everywhere get all the dirt off

next u need to sand it, sand it with rough sandpaper first, then follow up with smooth

wash off all the sanded dust and crap and DRY!! Dry the rims as MUCH AS POSSIBLE this is very very important!

Now pick a day for ideal painting. It should be warm above 70 degrees and lpower than 90. It should NOT be windy, and its easier to do in a closed enviroment

Unless u want to get high, always use proper safety procedures!

Start off by heating the primer with a blowdryer, this helps it stick better

Paint the rims in an upright position, and hold the can approx. 8-10 inches away. Remmember, use quick strokes, NEVER apply heavy coats, quick light coats are best. You dont want the paint to drip or run..wait 10-15 minutes between coats

all primered up

after u get a nice thick primer coat on, SAND IT with the smoothest sandpaper u have. 800 is good. this will further help the next type of paint stick better

now to shoot the bronze on

same procedure as primer, upright position, quick short strokes and sprays and LIGHT COATS!

finished coats, used the whole can, approx 4 good coats

close up

Now that youre done, u can spray some clear coat on...i highly recommend this, as clear coat makes it look "wet" and shiny, and plus adds an extra layer of protection

To go even further u can wax the rims! This makes it even shinier, and makes it easier to wash off brake dust

on the whip...

I hope u guys enjoyed this! I paint rims all the time and this method is very effective and turns out great. I get a lot of props on the rims i paint, and most people are suprised when i say i used spray paint to paint em.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
nice job man. gotta love spray paint jobs. what''d u use to remove the paint from the tires?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
lookin' good.
nice write up.
I'm gonna be painting my rims satin black soon (instead of ultra flat as they sit now.)

Do tell how you got the paint off the rubber too.

-ic

C

·
0 Posts
hell yeah,they look very nice!how did you get the paint off the tires???

·
Registered
231 Posts
paint thinner, if not to lazzy mask it up, if you do the prep work there well be less over spray on and over thing as for the wax you need to let tha paint dry of if you know paint cure if not it well eat up clear and paint just my 2 cents nice job

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yeah

gettin paint off tires is a breeze since paint doesnt stick on rubber too well

i was ghetto and used a toothbrush and GASOLINE...however be careful as drops might slpash off the gas and tire and go onto the rim and thats bad

but i recommend u mask off the tires, i was lazy

B

·
0 Posts
Or you can take index cards and stick them between the lip of the rim and the tire. Stick them end to end and they'll form a nice circle to keep paint off the tire.

B96v6

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
spray paint?

who uses spray paint? if your taking time to do it do it right... HVLP system. but other than that.... for spray paint... nice job

·
Registered
141 Posts
Was thinking about painting my 88s SI wheels the same satin black, just kind of worried that it'll look ghetto.

·
Registered
62 Posts
for about 40-60 bucks... u an have yur rims sandblasted... i highly sugghest it... no work.. for getting paint off(it was a bitch for me. mine has that rubber coating on the bottom... pain in the ass) so i had them blasted... dude did it in an hour... and they were nice and rouigh for a good primer stick.... then take it form there.

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
Hah, I noticed that too ^^

As far as the paint chipping, it's no worse than any other painting solution on a car :roll: Don't run into shit, and it won't chip :lol: I had some painted VW Golf wheels on my teg for over a year and never had an issue with the rattle can finish holding up. Of course, I did go kinda nuts on the clear coat, but who wouldn't? I hardly ever had to shine the things :lol: Spray
em with a hose and yer done. :)

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
Bahahaha

oh yeah

gettin paint off tires is a breeze since paint doesnt stick on rubber too well

i was ghetto and used a toothbrush and GASOLINE...however be careful as drops might slpash off the gas and tire and go onto the rim and thats bad

but i recommend u mask off the tires, i was lazy
I was about to say man u got lazy and sprayed ur Kumho's but hey u got the job done HAHAHA:alky:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts