Honda D Series Forum banner

Paintin intake mani?

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  spoonsol 
#1 ·
Will it affect the performance of you motor painting an intake manifold? The manifold is chrome, but i have no chrome under the hood so it will look kinda stupid imo. i was wanting to paint it black i have access to a sand blaster and all just wondering if it would affect.

#3 ·
^ x2

no. especially at a street level the negligable heat dissapation or absortion (if any) wont make a bit of difference

#5 ·
damn i get posted on by two guys.... i gotta learn to type faster lol.

well they have a point there, if its just street application then dont worry about it. but the theory still holds true.

#4 ·
painting it can cause it to trap in more heat, which will make your air flowing into your motor less dense.

less dense air or less air molecules per cyl when firing = less power

just leave it alone, itll look okay eventually, just put in some chrome strut bars and a few chrome fittings and steel braided lines. thatll make it "fit in" more.

#7 ·
Chrome will trap more heat than paint.....theres an old vw saying about the shrouds around the fan and the cooling fins.....somthing like "leave it black if you want to get back or have it chrome and never get home" i dunno somthin like that.

#8 ·
/\ lol . if your streeting it BUT are running without a hood *this is actually legal in some places* i can see black paint causing it to soak up more heat in the sun....thus further heating the air going into cylinders...which in turn = BAD....not like kill your motor bad...just loose some power bad

#9 ·
for a good rule of thumb... we can assume all cars on here have a hood unless otherwise stated :)

and

strip the chrome and paint it... I'm sure you will be no worse off with the new paint vs the old chrome

#10 ·
ok thanks guys i already had him sandblast the chrome so its a nice dull finish now, im gonna see how it looks when i get it back to decide if i want to paint it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.