Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to repaint my car this summer. I saw a Lamborghini orange recently I really like, where it's your basic bright orange but it had some metallic and/or pearl in it so in the sun it looked really good, but was a little overboard for me. The metallic orange my car is now and other pearl/metallic oranges I've seen look good in the sun but don't look so good in low light. The basic orange does look good in low light though.

Have any of you added metallic and/or pearl to basic colors (not transparent colors)? If so how did it look, and what brand pearl/metallic did you use? It seems like for pearl to really look good with a non-transparent color it needs to be added to a bottom clear coat layer rather than the base coat. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
depends on the color paint and color of pearl you put in.

if you go with orange you can put any color pearl in there but an orange pearl could look decent gives it a bit of a flop.

you best option though is to find a color you like and have it mixed for you places like o reillys can do it. i would suggest going to a shop or somewhere that actually knows what they are doing though.

i suggest dupont paint and pearls.

my dad owns a body shop and ive worked in it forever so i know a little bit about this stuff. also i think neonpinhead here on the forum works in a body shop as well or knows plenty about body work atleast.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking either orange or yellow pearl would look good with the orange. I found a basic orange that I like, but just wanted a little pearl or metallic so it would look even better in the sun.

Do most paint supply stores have pearls/metallics on hand that they could add to paint I bring in?

I just don't know how much to add without changing the original color too much. Is it just something I have to add a little, test it, and see that way or is there a general amount of metallic or pearl that give a nice subtle touch? Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
without having an original color to go off of then you will want to add a little and see.

so say you have a pint of orange paint.

scale it down to and put some in a few small cups. weigh how much pearl you put into each one(should all be measured in grams most likley). pick the one you lik best then scale that to the full amount. but if you go into a shop im sure they will have books with different car manufacturers paint and find one you like that way there will be a paint code and can be easily mixed again.

you can go into lowes or home depot and get pearls and paint for vehicles. you will need to have a shop that deals with automotive paint.

also metalic will lighten the color most likely beings as your pretty much just adding silver to the paint. pearl would look better imo(im not a big fan of metalic though)

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The closest color I found is a Lamborghini Orange, but it seems like a little too much pearl for my taste. I figure once I get the mixture I like then I can write down everything ( x grams of pearl to x part paint), and also mix up a full gallon. It takes a little over 2 quarts for my CRX, so I will always have extra.

For pearl would it be best to add it to the base color if it's a non-transparent color or to add it to the first coat of clear to give it some depth? Then put more coats of clear over it. I heard this is good with metallics, but I don't really know what is best for a pearl additive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts