Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Massive face palm on this one. My valve cover was peeling badly from a poor paint job done by a previous owner. I thought it was a great idea to pull it off and spend a few hours of labour getting it to look respectable. Although the finished product was great, my car will not turn over, it cranks and cranks. My first step was to turn to google and start reading why this is happening. I ran out to a local parts store and purchased an online sparkplug tester, no spark!

Just seems so odd, never had a single issue. Took the VC off for approx. 10 days and only removed the wires (marked in firing order) and the vacuum line at the back left corner. Anyone have some tips? I've pulled every fuse inside and in the engine bay. *D16Z6*

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Check all your grounds, especially the thermostat ground bundle.

Have you ever changed/repaired the main relay in this car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check all your grounds, especially the thermostat ground bundle.

Have you ever changed/repaired the main relay in this car?
Thanks for the tips, I will take a look at the grounds.

As far as the main relay, I would say it's never been done. The plug wires are from 1993! I've only had this vehicle since July and it's been parked for most of that time, 220kms / 130miles on it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The main relays from 88-95 all have solder issues, just ran into this again with a 185k mile 89 CRX. Bought and started driving it daily, day 2 it wouldnt restart after I filled it up with gas until I waited for about 10 minutes, day 3 it died twice and then wouldnt restart until I took out the main relay and scraped the bad connections. Spent about 10 minutes soldering it that night and hasnt given me a problem since.

Super common issue with these cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main relays from 88-95 all have solder issues, just ran into this again with a 185k mile 89 CRX. Bought and started driving it daily, day 2 it wouldnt restart after I filled it up with gas until I waited for about 10 minutes, day 3 it died twice and then wouldnt restart until I took out the main relay and scraped the bad connections. Spent about 10 minutes soldering it that night and hasnt given me a problem since.

Super common issue with these cars.
Is it located behind the glove box?

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
No search for its location.

If you only removed spark plug wires to remove the valve cover that's your problem. Google a picture of a stock d16 and you'll see what you're missing.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Ok, start by peeling half the paint off and get back to here it worked then.....lol jk

Out of curiosity, why is the ground strap for the valve cover on the alt?

Might be a dumb question but did you click the spark plug wires back on?

Did you get a new gasket kit and change the spark plug tube gaskets?

Reactions: Chrisfrom1986

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, start by peeling half the paint off and get back to here it worked then.....lol jk

Out of curiosity, why is the ground strap for the valve cover on the alt?

Might be a dumb question but did you click the spark plug wires back on?

Did you get a new gasket kit and change the spark plug tube gaskets?
Haha :poke:

From what I've been seeing 92-95 have the ground located there. Yes I put new gaskets on, I don't think that would arise any starting issues though? Yes the wires kind of "popped" back in.

$10 via PayPal to whoever can find my problem between those two pictures!

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
They don't have an alternator there. The valve cover is the ground point. Clearly shown in Google image searches for stock d16z6.

Reactions: Whoshot

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Sorry, power steering pump, damn I was typing while not thinking again.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Thats the PS and its an oem ground.

But idk what all you did when you took it off to paint it.
But its possible that the ignitor in the dizzy went bad.

Ive seen it before. People work on there car, remove the plugs, forget to put them back, crank over the motor and bam. Blow out the ignitor in the dizzy.

Do the ohm test for it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update

I ordered an ignition coil, plugs and wires off rock auto. My wires were original from '93 so they were due. I took my distributor off to prep from the coil that is arriving in a few days.

I had a bastard of a time removing the corroded rotor which eventually broke and I couldn't remove it. I had no choice but to source a complete distributor. I bought a new one and she fired right up!

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Keep the new coil coming as a backup, or save it for when you manage to remove the old rotor from the old disty.

Or if you dont wanna mess with it, lemme get dat old distributor lol.

Did you replace the O ring on the distributor? Some brands made you reuse your current one, which is a super common oil leak place

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Side note, on that inner oil ring, the local Honda dealer told me they don't exist.....

I held it up in front of his face.....

Glad you got her running OP

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
There was a thread with the part number to that oil ring. Honda no longer keeps it in stock. I'll go try to find it, in case you need it. The last time I needed one, I had to order it on some random website.

Edit: found it! 30110-PA1-732 you can copypasta that into eBay or Amazon or Google.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Maybe even better....:TU:

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I was going to say, the distributor probably died. No spark Honda, distributor. Almost always.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts