Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing paint on my 95coupe bad. the hood, top, and trunk lid are all oxydized very bad. Wasnt' looking to sell organs to get a paint job so I went down to to maaco. the guy stated that he would throw me a deal if I could bring in the car next week. 780 for:
new hood
7-8 dent repairs
the roof and trunk stripped to metal
the usuall car prep
*polyurethane paint single stage with real clear coat

The painter was fairly decent for a maaco. but I just wanted to see if you guys thought that was a good deal. and the warranty is 4 years for the gloss coat, meaning it it fades even a little bit, I can have them do it again.
And no worries, I will remove everything I don't want painted myself*

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot the kicker, he will only do this if I bring the car in next week....which I am sure I could talk him out of anyway but its on the estimate paper

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
how many coats are they going to put down? Are they going to colorsand it afterwards or just leave it like it is?

If they colorsand it (meaning, get rid of the orange peel), then it's a very good deal.

If not, then it's ok. Don't be afraid to make them do sections over if you're not happy with it afterwards. If you want to colorsand it yourself... which is probably $30 in materials, plus renting an orbital polisher, make sure they use enough coats because you will be literally sanding the paint. It will look really nice though.

BTW, I thought that a clearcoat was one of the "stages". So, if they're giving you a single-stage paint... that means the clearcoat is incorporated. That's shitty paint. I had mine done separately.

B

·
0 Posts
Single stage paint is not shitty paint, it is just harder to lay down smooth beacuse of all of the additives in it. If it is a single stage you just have to make sure that they put plenty of coats on it so that you can color sand afterwards. Also, with a single stage paint you can spray a clear coat over the top of it, especially if you want to add an effect to the paint, or if the orange peel is hella bad or you had some real trouble spots, but you like the way the color turned out, that way you can snad the clearcoat smooth and leave the paint alone. JUst thought I would drop the I disagree with makku bomb on here, and this is not just stuff I heard, this is first hand knowledge. I do a lot of painting, not cars, but aircraft painting is pretty much the same thing (I can just mess up a lot more than an auto painter...lol). Anyway, that is a good price, even if you do the color sand yourself, especially with a new body panel and some dent removal included in the price. I would try to find some people who have used them before and take a look at the work they do, or you could even see some of the stuff that they have on hand that they are working on.

·
Registered
946 Posts
i think someone beat me to it,
but single stage paint sucks ass.

don't cheap out,
if your paint is oxidizing that badly, then probably all the paint should be resprayed,
get a whole respray with 2stage(base+clear) and you'll be happy with it.

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts
I had macco paint my fender, grill and rear lip spoiler also front bumber for 400 everything came out looking good but the front bumper chiped like crazy and big fucken pieces started peeling off the bumper this being cause they didnt prime the front bumper why i dont know they primed everything else and it came out really nice. When i went down there they said they only warrant metal parts not plastic no warrant on the plastic. So after i blew a fit down there and was asked to leave by the police. Its been two months since then and i got mine from them. Sucks about that brick through there window but hey eye for eye tooth for tooth.

G

·
0 Posts
With paint and body work, you get what you pay for. More so than anything else on your car, IMHO. If you pay for $780 worth of work... your car will look like $780. Some people are fine with that. Others aren't. It's your call. Consider yourself warned.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so I went to a diff maaco to do some comparing....another maaco would charge me over 1k for the same thing so i think i will go with the current offer....after all, it will look better than it does now anyway. Here is exactly what I am getting as I was going off memory before:
two stage, Base factory Grenada Black Pearl with ClearCoat
Polyurethane paint not enamel
new hood
moajority of all dings repaired
strip the top of the car and trunk lid.
Since I am forking the money for paint now, I think I will have them strip the driver door to metal and also fix all the dings. probably around 950 when finished

1 - 13 of 13 Posts