Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.I am new to civic.Recently I bought an ek2 which had a d13b as stock,but the previous owner change the engine to a d15b with a d16y8 head coded as p2j-4.what I know is the intake manifold ,trottle and distributor are not for vtec.I have 2 solenoid .I just wanted to know how to engage vtec without the ecu.Please help

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just wanted to know how to engage vtec without the ecu.Please help
like a switch??? push button vtec yo vroom

vtec is more than just a electric oil pump

different ignition and fuel maps are needed unless you were carbed you cant control either without the help of a ecu of some sorts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Im guessing you cant read fune print.
It doesnt work on vtec-e or dual stage vtec.
You said you have 2 solenoids.

Also your understanding of vtec is so very wrong.
Its a whole another tune map that kicks in.
Get the right ecu for the motor.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
man thks.I know I am wrong in vtec.The ecu in my country is $500 with wiring .I have to change the distributor, intake and trottle.It will cost me $800.I am on a budjet.A tuner told me to hook a vtec controller that will control only the high cam.Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Why do you have 2 solenoids? A d16y8 head is 2 stage vtec, not 3.

A vtec solenoid takes standard 12v to activate assuming you have enough oil pressure. You can run it on your fuel and timing maps from a d13, but it wont be optimal. To do it get a RPM switch and set it to give the vtec solenoid 12v at 5000 RPMs.

What do your ecu plugs look like? Are you obd2a?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
So much rep must be spread, I feel weak in the knees.

Joel - he has a d15b bottom end, and the head from a y8, probably hooked up the dual stage, y8 probably didn't have a solenoid, so they adapted, didn't know you could do this though. Just makes it a d15b again I would think.

OP - So what is the purpose of this wish? Is the vtec not engaging?

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, there is obviously a n00b among us and will get this one chance.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/156435-obd2-jdm-d15b-w-y8-head.html

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Its probably not a Y8 head. Its a 3 stage VTEC head as well, which was also stamped P2J just like a Y8.

The VTEC controller/RPM switch thing is fucking retarded. You guys need to cut that nonsense out.

This shit is not hard to make run like standard 2 stage VTEC with a chipped ECU (A stock P28 will not run it very well). FUCKING SEARCH FOR FUCKS SAKE.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
This why I wanted to know if I use the vtec controller to engage it
It doesn't do that, if you are not engaging now, how will it help? You must fix the issue. My guess is get the right ecu so it can run the dual stage or get a single stage solenoid and go from there.
edit: If fulltilt is right, and your head is the dual stage, you need to get that working, then the vtec controller is useless to you either way it seems.

It explains it in that link, if you read and research a bit you will get farther.

I am trying to prompt you to ask the right question, why is my vtec not engaging? Then you can use your controller, after you go single stage, to make changes to engagement, but you wont need it then.

Because your vtec will be working properly.

FYI - Notice everyone gave up already.....your understanding is being outweighed by your emphasis on saving money. It will cost way less to get your car running right.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
First determine how many cam profiles your head has. Is it 2 stage? 3 stage?

If it is 3 stage head, good luck. The engines never came in the states and we dont deal with them much.

If it is 2 stage head similar to our d16y8 head either a p28 (obd1) or a obd2a p2p ecu would be capable of running the engine fine if you can hook them up to your plugs, either directly or with an adapter.

A p28 requires a single 4 wire O2, a p2p requires 2 4 wire o2 sensors.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts