Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ookay, so I am new to Honda and picked one up for cheap with a knocking D16y8. Since then I purchased a "mini me" engine (D15B7 block w/ Y8 head), or what I thought was a mini me. Long story short, I pulled the head off and it has Y5 rockers/valves/cam. I did some looking and from all I saw the head stamped P2J-4 with 97 was supposed to be the Y8. Did i get shafted on this engine buy or can i make this thing work??

Attachments

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
1,831 Posts
P2J is a Y5 or Y8 head, they are the same casting
everything the same other then the rocker assemblies and the Vtec solenoids, you have a dual vtec solenoid

You should get a y5 ecu to run it.
If you want to build it at all you will want a y8 head.
Leaving it stock it will be fine..but you need an y5 ecu to make the most of it. A y8 ecu will run rich on that. also you will have to run some extra wires for the second vtec.

here is a list i found, probably safe to assume the y5 head have the same stamps on them
D16Y8
96 EX D16Y8 Auto------P2J-2 stamped 95 on rs of head
97 EX D16y8 5spd-----P2J-4 --- "97" stamped on the right
97 EX D16Y8 Auto-----P2J-6 "97" stamped on rs of head
97 EX D16Y8 Auto-----P2J-7
97 EX D16Y8 5sp-----P2J-6 "96" stamped on right side
98 EX D16Y8 Auto-----P23-2
99 EX D16Y8 5sp------P2J-4
00 EX D16Y8 5sp------P2J-3 "99" stamped on right side

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah I saw that list of head codes on the other thread. Kinda used common sense and google to figure out my rocker assembly was not Y8, which is why I came here with my concerns. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ookay, so I am new to Honda and picked one up for cheap with a knocking D16y8. Since then I purchased a "mini me" engine (D15B7 block w/ Y8 head), or what I thought was a mini me. Long story short, I pulled the head off and it has Y5 rockers/valves/cam. I did some looking and from all I saw the head stamped P2J-4 with 97 was supposed to be the Y8. Did i get shafted on this engine buy or can i make this thing work??
You really have a 3 stage vtec head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts