Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have this current set up a6 block acl race bearing arp rod bolts stock rods and p29s...slapped a y8 head oem all stock...but here's my question how many of u have installed p29s with this set up and what numbers have u plugged out whp wise? And compression numbers?

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really and would that be due to the y8 head? What is it about that set up thats a no-no? Please explain...

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Cuz p29's are horrible for good quench. And they have weak ring lands. It splits the combustion and pushes it outward. Plus I've heard that the shape of the combustion chamber of a y8 head likes to push the combustion back to the center. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Don't like spewing bad info. But ya I would never run p29's for the sake of high comp. Pg6's are way better for the y8 head

Looked at the shape of a y8 vs a z6 and the quench is def tighter. Not good for p29's for sure

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
basically that's right

might have to watch piston to head contact with pg6s and a y8 head

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
basically that's right

might have to watch piston to head contact with pg6s and a y8 head
Good call. No shaving the head with that for sure

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
The engine will be knock limited unless you run E85 or some other higher octane that pump gas.

In order to keep the engine together, you'll have to pull so much timing to keep it from knocking itself to death that you will not make a whole lot of power.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The engine will be knock limited unless you run E85 or some other higher octane that pump gas.

In order to keep the engine together, you'll have to pull so much timing to keep it from knocking itself to death that you will not make a whole lot of power.
EXACTLY ^

I ran P29's but had a z6 head.... shaved the head a bit, had the stock cam, decked the block, have Eagle H-beams....no p2v problems at all.

BUT, there was exactly what AcidBeaver was talking about...huge amount of timing was taken out and it ran about 13:1 CR, but it did run with no knocking at the high or low end so it's doable but not very economical. Here in OR we only have 92 octane, so the fuel wasn't up to par for the motor. Good luck, hope this helps?

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
on a y8 head you dont have to worry about possible the piston smacking the head with pg6 pistons?

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be able to understand you a Lil better if u can explain "quench"..and beaver it's bad that u say that because I have blox springs,blox cam duration 247'@ 0.050 Lift 0.276". Exhaust 230' @ 0.050 Lift 0.225" (L3), AEM Truetime adj cam gear,and plan to port tha head and port match the intake manifold...because on tha autozeal chart I saw like 13.4! And and funny u saythat knocking cuz the D car knocks Insane I drove it around the blok it shut off on me "lmao" since then have been back on the chart...

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EXACTLY ^

I ran P29's but had a z6 head.... shaved the head a bit, had the stock cam, decked the block, have Eagle H-beams....no p2v problems at all.

BUT, there was exactly what AcidBeaver was talking about...huge amount of timing was taken out and it ran about 13:1 CR, but it did run with no knocking at the high or low end so it's doable but not very economical. Here in OR we only have 92 octane, so the fuel wasn't up to par for the motor. Good luck, hope this helps?
So the Z6 head was no better than the Y8? I have aZ6 head and didn't use it for this because I wanted the Y8 due to bigger combustion chamber..figured it was better for air flow..correct me if wrong btw..u still saw around 13.1 compression? for that I sell my Internals with p29s and buy a set of rods and pistons that will hold up better for spray and better on mpg because the drop in compression. Jus an idea but yea that would sound more appropriate but I was on a budget.or still am jus a cheap bastard I guess...

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
z6 has the bigger chamber then the y8, y8 has quench ares built into the head

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other way around yes i forgot that's y I kept the z6 head...but what u mean by quench?

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I see I jus read a post on quench...I figured if the compression was a Lil higher I would see better results after tuned on a 50shot number wise...

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
yes and no, like said before the p29's want to push the mixture to the side, the y8 head wants to pull it in the middle, and with the p29's being in the hole you end up basically with the mixture on the sides.

best combination in my mind flat pistons on flat has possible and a small but still good flowing chamber

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes and no, like said before the p29's want to push the mixture to the side, the y8 head wants to pull it in the middle, and with the p29's being in the hole you end up basically with the mixture on the sides.

best combination in my mind flat pistons on flat has possible and a small but still good flowing chamber
I see ur pic those pistons are flat ass a Whitegurl booty lol...what pistons are those u runnig? But when I took a flick of the p29s on the block I see what u mean now they sit in the port of the head too high to push the mixture to the sides...thnx homie now I see why my ek knocks unconsistancy on combustion...back to the boards to see what piston combo works best...

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
are you talking about the pic under my name, pg6s are what the are, they sit flush deck and have a slight dome of like 1.5, it was put together with a z6 head

·
Registered
EK SOHC 1.6 litre
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
are you talking about the pic under my name, pg6s are what the are, they sit flush deck and have a slight dome of like 1.5, it was put together with a z6 head
Yea same pic I'm talking bout but with some research I have seen it's pretty hard to find those..? Mistake me if wrong I see there from an 86-87 usdm integra d16a1...this would actually be the more healthy choice doesn't raise comp to hell like the p29s! Run better on pump gas and also conserve more mpg! Correct me of wrong

1 - 20 of 57 Posts