Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a set of nice P29's over at FJ Distributors, which if anybody has ever used these guys, they process orders, but never call or e-mail you back.

Anybody know if the P29's on there can be used with Eagle H-beam connecting rods?

Can't quite tell by looking at them, have to have a machine shop press them out...trying to avoid that hassle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
no the p29 piston is a press in pin piston.. will only work with a stock rod
unless you get the h-beam bushed with a tighter bushing
and why go h-beam on p29's its a heavy ass rod stock rod will be lighter and stand up the same stress as the p29

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Decided to go with H-beams due to strength and also i-beams a re really hard to find new.

So what pistons am I able to go with now? Like a JE piston? God this motor build is getting stupid again quick!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will Supertech 10:5 pistons fit on Eagle H-beam connecting rods?

·
Formerly weebeastie
932 Posts
I think you should tell us what you're trying to accomplish. As it was said earlier, prepped stock rods (ARP rod bolts, resized and shotpeened) will take you just as far as the P29s or even forged pistons will allow you in an N/A motor. Prepped stock rods will manage nearly 200 whp, and as SOHCinWA has shown they'll take 9k rpms, for a while at least. So what are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
If you are going to be running race fuel or E85, I'd let you use those 10.5:1 pistons...but otherwise I'd stick with 9:1.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you should tell us what you're trying to accomplish. As it was said earlier, prepped stock rods (ARP rod bolts, resized and shotpeened) will take you just as far as the P29s or even forged pistons will allow you in an N/A motor. Prepped stock rods will manage nearly 200 whp, and as SOHCinWA has shown they'll take 9k rpms, for a while at least. So what are you trying to accomplish?
ha,understood

Bottom end: D16Z6
supertech 10:5 pistons
eagle H-beam connecting rods
arp rod/ head bolts/ studs
D16 crank micro-polished
Is there any problems with the wrist pin design on the supertech pistons, connecting with the Eagle H-beams? So far I've found they are ok.

Looking for higher output N/A engine for DD, AutoX, time attack. Yeah I'm that idiot who drives the racing car around town, but I wouldn't change it for anything :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going to be running race fuel or E85, I'd let you use those 10.5:1 pistons...but otherwise I'd stick with 9:1.
eh...yeah I know what your saying. I've thought it over for 6 months or so, but after hearing it fire up, there was no knocking or anything after the tune....the first time, before the crank ate the bearings.

·
Formerly weebeastie
932 Posts
I disagree. My previous engine wasn't the most efficient, but it was running 13.3:1 compression on 93 octane non-ethanol gasoline. Obviously this was with a decent tune. I'm currently running 12:1 on 93 octane with ease.

For the OP: the key is the camshaft, more compression requires a camshaft specifically designed for the given amount of compression your engine makes. Stock cam = nor more than 11:1 and a great tune, 10:1 with a less than desirable tune

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I disagree. My previous engine wasn't the most efficient, but it was running 13.3:1 compression on 93 octane non-ethanol gasoline. Obviously this was with a decent tune. I'm currently running 12:1 on 93 octane with ease.

For the OP: the key is the camshaft, more compression requires a camshaft specifically designed for the given amount of compression your engine makes. Stock cam = nor more than 11:1 and a great tune, 10:1 with a less than desirable tune
oh yeah....since you wanted some background. The Z6 head consists of:
Crower springs, Ti retainers
Bisimoto level 2 cam, cam gear
3 angle valve job
p&p
decked .001

Hope this helps identify with it more. Just wondering if that supertech piston, and eagle h-beam combo will work? i.e. do they fit together? unlike...P29's and h-beams.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I was under the impression you were gonna boost your motor...so that's why I recommended those ratios and fuel.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes super tech are full floating pistons they will work with h beam rods
Thank you!! PM'd back

I was under the impression you were gonna boost your motor...so that's why I recommended those ratios and fuel.
Nope, I know....H-beams are way overkill!! But new I-beams are hard to find, unless you want to bend over at Honda and buy new ones....better off buying a forged piston.

·
Formerly weebeastie
932 Posts
That definitely makes sense then BLK92.

The level 2 cam does great up to about 12.5:1, more than that and it won't bleed off enough compression. Not that it won't perform, but you're really getting past the capability of the camshaft. Speed-O-Motive sells aftermarket I beam rods for a d series, but seriously, if you're looking make power and save some money then get the supertech's and put them on a good set of stock rods with ARP bolts. Floating pin pistons work with press fit rods, just no press fits on the aftermarket rods. And make sure if you do use aftermarket forged pistons with a stock type press fit rod that the machinist or you reinstall the Circlips/spirolocks or the pins will slide out.

Don't ask how I know that......its a painful story, and something that a machinist overlooked.

Also:

The H beam rods weigh more than the stock rods, so keep that in mind as well. When the rotating assembly weighs more it takes more energy for it to spin.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will def. keep all this in mind guys, thanks for the input!! Once again...learn something new almost every time I am on D-series.

·
Registered
391 Posts

I love seeing post's like this. I'm so tired of hearing 12:1 is not possible on 93 >.<
Combine the correct parts in the correct way with a good tuner and 14:1 on 93 is streetable, Trust me.
ATM I am running 13.28:1 on 93 with 32* timing.
Keep up the good work:bigok:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love seeing post's like this. I'm so tired of hearing 12:1 is not possible on 93 >.<
Combine the correct parts in the correct way with a good tuner and 14:1 on 93 is streetable, Trust me.
ATM I am running 13.28:1 on 93 with 32* timing.
Keep up the good work:bigok:
haha, I hear ya. It sucks because originally everyone was saying no high comp. ratio for the street..then I found it DOES work....now I built an engine with around a 12:1 comp. ratio, but in buying the supertech pistons, they were capped at 10:1.

But with the decking and milling and thin head gasket the ratio should raise up a bit. Hoping to be around 12 again.

·
Formerly weebeastie
932 Posts
mill .020" off the head, z6/y8 head gasket and boom, 12(ish):1 compression. And stock rods will handle it just fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts