Honda D Series Forum banner

P28 tuned fuel pump wont prime

18K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Nasty_Canasta 
#1 ·
Hello guys
i have p28 chipped Chrome
its started about year ago
the Fuel pump was delayd,i turn the swith on and it take about 2-3 min before it started to pump,in cold weather it took about 5-10 mins.
and today i surpriesd
it even dont want to work after 30 mins..
i got the check engine light on(its was before too when i waiting to the fuel pump ) and nothing happend...
i have replace main relays and fuel pump relay,
the problem is in the ecu cuse i have tried with another p28 with my chip
and it works with no problem
i replaced the resistors and the Capacitors and no changes...
the ecu look OK
Nothing burnt ,Nothing smells burnt

Any Body Got Idea?
Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
Well, you can find the signal pin for the main relay, open the case and trace back it testing all the circuit board items along the way. Without a pretty good understand about how the circuit components work though, it's not going to be easy to trace the circuit.

If you have a spare good working ECU, I'd have them both open and that way you have a point of reference for testing (ie: are parts of the circuit hot when they're supposed to be? are you getting continuity through mosfets at the right time?)

Electronics are only a hobby thing for me though, so i'm sure there's someone with actual real knowledge who could offer better advice.

#7 ·
A break down in the ECU huh? I'd want to also find out how it got a burnt pathway without affecting anything else. Setting the map but not allowing the circuit to break the fuel/main relay?

#9 ·
You don't have a solid CEL on or anything do you?

When you say "fuel pump activation was delayed", can you better describe this? Like, are you going key on engine off and letting it sit for 5 minutes then all of a sudden the quick 2 second prime signal activates? Or are you going key on engine off, the 2 second prime either works or doesn't work, waiting 5 minutes, trying to crank and it starts because of it waiting 5+ minutes? The differences can mean different things from a diagnostic point of view.

Have you tested main relay / fuel pump control out of the ECU connector and not at the main relay? You could have wiring issues between the ECU and the main relay.

Also, have you tried jumping the fuel pump relay terminals to run the pump all the time, then crank and see if the ECU allows the engine to start and run normally? This could rule out and narrow down the problems to only fuel pump control. If you manually get the fuel pump to run the whole time, but the ECU will not let the car start during your 5-10 minute waiting period, you have issues that extend beyond just fuel pump control. If it doesn't start with the pump wired ON, check all ECU inputs to make sure it is getting everything is needs to completely power up BEFORE replacing the ECU.

#10 ·
Thank u for ur good answer.

Before,i put the key on,check engine light on
And need to wait about 3-15 min depending on weather,when hot outside ita take about 3-5 min,when cold outside(+20c) its can take about 10-20 min,then the fuel pump started prime and check engine light off.

Then i start the engine and no problems with fuel map/fuel pump.
The problem is only START the fuel pump prime,and then all good.

Its ecu problem cuse a have tried anothet p28 and its work perfect,even with my chip.

#15 ·
See? Circuit continuity ...

#17 ·
Exactly the point. The other ECU doesn't have shutdown pathways limping to success. You got your alarm hooked into it or have it programmed in some way?
I had to disconnect that whole fucker once before i stopped limping.
In the end it's a pit stop for throw off codes. I'd say it's shot if you dont get any repeat codes just off hand.
Study extra p28
Learn from it. Sounds captain obvious but it's not in front of me.
Get a circuit checker with a running light. That will help narrow your search.

#19 ·
When you say, "the problem is in the ecu cuse i have tried with another p28 with my chip and it works with no problem"

What do you mean by this? You put your chip in someone else's car and it worked?

Are you burning the chips? What are you using? Moates? Or old school EEPROM burner?

I have extensive experience in Crome and burning chips...and all the weird
stuff that happens when doing this stuff..

I've had the same map do the exact same thing multiple times. Somehow, it was corrupted or the ECU just didn't like it. Eventually, I copied the tables over and created a new map..and it was fine.

Also, does your ECU have the little clip lever that locks the chip in? Or is it the cheaper ones that make you force the chip in and out of the socket?

When you cut the resistor / wire that enables that socket to control the ECU, does the ECU work fine? Meaning, when you disable the socketed area of the ECU, does it work as it should?

#22 · (Edited)
This is an older post...but I hate reading things and not finding solutions. I have a solution to this dilemma.

The issue is this - Fuel pump not priming with chipped ECU.

My issue was also with a P28...but the ECU doesn't matter. It's your chip itself or the ZIF socket you are using.

PROBLEM -

When you put your chip and/or ZIF socket in the main socket, you most likely bent the legs of the chip / ZIF socket in a little bit to get it to fit better. When you did this, you bent them in just a little too far. This is causing an intermitent loose connection and you may not get a CEL when you turn the key to the "ON" position, but the fuel pump won't prime. Usually until it accidentally makes a connection again.

SOLUTION -

Remove the chip and/or ZIF socket and bend the legs back out a little. Then carefully push it back in. Make sure that it takes a little bit of force to get it back in the main socket. This ensures a proper connection.

Also, take the chip or ZIF and look at it sideways and from the bottom. Make sure that the legs are even across each side. You can use a table or any flat top / edge to put a little pressure on them to even them out.

In my case, It was my ZIF that was losing intermittent connection. Since I am done tuning and swapping chips all the time, I just removed the ZIF altogether and pushed the chip into the main socket.

At first, this seemed like it might be a wiring issue or maybe the ECU going bad...but as usual, the simplest solution was the right one. My car hasn't done that since I did the above procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.