Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody chipped there p28 to run the y5 motor decent with the vtec e and everything my car is converted back to obd1 by the way and no egr valve or 5 wire o2 just wondering because my car runs pretty bad because i dont think vtec kicks in till way to late so it falls on its face any info would be great thanks plus is 120.00 to much to pay for my ecu to get chipped i was going to go to pro street import in la mirado Eugene was going to do it for those of you who know who that is
thanks

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
No, but I'm sure its running rich with that p28 because the Y5 is supposed to be a lean burn engine.

And yes, vtec should be set at a much lower rpm.

I dont know how to get it running right with out chipping that p28 and tuning it.

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
I've written a killer street-tuned basemap for for a chipped p28 that will run a y5 very well. Let me know if you're interested still, and I'll give you the nitty gritty.

-josh-

·
Registered
424 Posts
$120 seems high to me. This is where alot of people go to have it done. I have bought alot of stuff from them, good service and prices. They charge $25 labor plus $15 for the parts. You still need to have someone burn a chip for you but thats not a big deal;

http://www.moates.net/index.php?cPath=42

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've written a killer street-tuned basemap for for a chipped p28 that will run a y5 very well. Let me know if you're interested still, and I'll give you the nitty gritty.

-josh-
HEY, that's something we dont see everyday! Good job!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AmKrew 1 could you burn me a rom and send it to me if i can get my ecu socketed then i can just put your chip in since you said you already have a good basemap i'm going to try and socket it my self just in case can anybody tell me who is a good person to ask to socket my ecu for me i dont know how good my soldering skills are

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
I guess I may as well just post it, lol.

Here's how it went down. I had a stock jdm d15b in my crx. I was getting an average of 39mpg highway, and it went [email protected] at LACR. I wanted to make the car more efficient, and started reading on the d16y5 head. Bense put out a LOT of great information, and I read his stuff. I also read some threads on honda-tech dealing with this head. It has roller rockers, shares the same head casting as the d16y8 cyl head, and was a direct swap onto my d15b.

My car was already obd1, from the tuning I started a while back, and was being run by a socketted p72, street tuned by me. It was a nice peppy car that got good mileage. I wanted more. The vtec-e system offered that.

I acquired a d16y5 head through d-series, and proceeded to port the head, trying to lay bact the divider to even the crooked port divider. I took the cyl head into work(machine shop) and performed a typical 3-angle valve job, and brought it home one last time to blend the bowls. once finished, the head was swapped onto my car. I took it on a trip and recorded 46mpg. That was actally my goal for mileage, and I also took it to LACR and ran 2 15.6'[email protected]. I only lost 1mph in the quarter mile and gained a great deal of power down low (daily driver, you know?) and great mileage.

In order to get this, I had to tune the p72 I had, to get it to run. I know, from sohcMshoe (I think is his name) and J Davis, that hte p2j head casting requires less timing advance, and so I searched for a basemap for the y8 head. Coming up short with that search, I decided to just scale back the timing map from my already tuned setup before, and tune AFR. I then socketted a p28 and swapped the chip in there without issue.

I was pleased with how the car ran, but, again, wanted more. I completed my turbo setup, installed it, and now it's faster than ever. I now have a boost map for the d16y5, designed for 10.4:1 compression, vtec-e, and 10psi. using 91 octane gas spiked with a little 95oct, it runs great, and I'm planning to go shoot another video. I'll post it soon.

As far as the map, It really works great.

-josh-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow thats sounds like a nice set up i'm really glad ur on dseries i was really lost on trying to tune my set up i love the gas milage and didnt really want to loose it but man with your basemap i can probably get even better than i already am and more power what a great combo power and great gas milage juist for anybody else readying this i am repin Amkrew_1 for sure he is a very helpful member

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey AMkrew, would that chip work for the stock P2M ecu of a D16Y5? I'm just kinda wonderin if it will...
I've tried a turbo D16Y5 here with the P2M and piggybacks (APEXi ITC & AFC) and it was whompin with torque. The guy eventually upgraded his AFC to a VAFC for more versatility in fuel ajustments and it even ran better.
The engine & mgt combo kinda blended well for the turbo coz the stock P2M opened vtec right on target as the turbo spooled and made boost (3,000 rpm).
The cam profile & action of the D16Y5 goes like this:

BELOW VTEC INTAKE - Primary lobe (38.427mm) + Secondary lobe (32.292mm)

EXHAUST - (38.784mm)

WITH VTEC INTAKE - Locked at Primary (38.427mm)
EXHAUST - (38.784mm)

What I observed was the vtec lobes are taller than the vtec lobes of the stock Y8 & Z6 cams. So the VTEC lobes of the D16Y5 are no push-overs even though the whole design is for economy.

I could imagine a D16Y5 with stock turboable 9.4:1 compression, and lean burn mode running below vtec suddenly receives boost right when it opens up at 3k, with aftermarket OR CHIPPED fuel & timing support, intercooled, ports straightened & widened for boost flow (ala Z6 tumble port style), angle valve job, modest boost (that the stock bottoms can handle) and you have an economy+good street turbo setup in one package!

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
Comparing what the lobes "look" like can get you into trouble. The y5/z1 cam has only .320" lift on the (vtec) intake lobe and exhaust lobes(my measurements), whereas the d16z6 camshaft has .394" (vtec)intake and .373" exhaust lobes(crower measurements). Duration is MUCH longer on the z6 cam as well.

This rom will only work in obd-1 computers. I'm pretty sure that nobody really is going to try to make a breakthrough on the obd-2 computers, so the best option is to convert to an obd-1 computer, and tune it that way.

Plus you just described my turbo setup at the bottom nearly to a tee! Here's a sneak preview:

Hey AMkrew, would that chip work for the stock P2M ecu of a D16Y5? I'm just kinda wonderin if it will...
I've tried a turbo D16Y5 here with the P2M and piggybacks (APEXi ITC & AFC) and it was whompin with torque. The guy eventually upgraded his AFC to a VAFC for more versatility in fuel ajustments and it even ran better.
The engine & mgt combo kinda blended well for the turbo coz the stock P2M opened vtec right on target as the turbo spooled and made boost (3,000 rpm).
The cam profile & action of the D16Y5 goes like this:

BELOW VTEC INTAKE - Primary lobe (38.427mm) + Secondary lobe (32.292mm)

EXHAUST - (38.784mm)

WITH VTEC INTAKE - Locked at Primary (38.427mm)
EXHAUST - (38.784mm)

What I observed was the vtec lobes are taller than the vtec lobes of the stock Y8 & Z6 cams. So the VTEC lobes of the D16Y5 are no push-overs even though the whole design is for economy.

I could imagine a D16Y5 with stock turboable 9.4:1 compression, and lean burn mode running below vtec suddenly receives boost right when it opens up at 3k, with aftermarket OR CHIPPED fuel & timing support, intercooled, ports straightened & widened for boost flow (ala Z6 tumble port style), angle valve job, modest boost (that the stock bottoms can handle) and you have an economy+good street turbo setup in one package!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i believe the ecu for the y5 is a p2n if im wrong sorry but Amkrew i sent you a email let me know if you got it thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
Guys.. i wanna know the different between P08 and P28 ECU obd1 ? all the different..

because i have plan to change my obd2 ECU with one of that ecu

my engine is d15 block with d15b head sohc vtec, which better P08 or P28

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it doesnt really matter just get either one you can find easier if you are going to tune then it doesnt matter. For me the p28 was just easier to find there was more available in my area than a p08 and it was cheaper for some reason good luck

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
If I remember correctly, the p08 uses a 1-wire o2 sensor. This should be taken into account.

Not sure about how the stock maps differ, but they shouldn't be too different.
-josh-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.