Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car wouldnt start after sitting 3-4 days. No fuel pump, so I checked the usual suspects, no go.

Removed the ecu, and replaced the C14 cap, car fired right up. But ran like crap, so I shut it right off, wouldnt re start. Pulled the ecu again and took it inside. Found C17, C18, and C19 capactiors burnt with black paths along some of the traces.

I didnt see if they where burnt before I replaced C14, they may have been. Im curious what might cause those to pop, if anyone has a clue.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
are you sure you got the polarity right on those caps? i dont think ive ever seen something like that before on the caps anyways.

Those traces are burnt alright, might have to lay solder over the top of the board to put them back together.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive only replaced the C14, and it is correct. ive since found one older thread about this. Seems one of those caps has to do with D10/eld, which I have my wideband connected to. Which is now acting retarded. I think the wb went bad and shorted all these....

Just going to build another ecu, Ive got 11f0 board sitting here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ecu over 20yrs old.. caps have life span, all the caps should be changed..
left my car idling, then it just went dead, throwing up codes like gang signs.. Checked everything all checked fine. then remembered that a friend had the same issue. swapped in the back up ecu. one click start.. checked and found cap busted, removed and cleaned board. all good again.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was the wideband. Just built a new ecu last night. Just tested it, with the wideband completely unhooked and its fine now.

Due to moisture. Even Honda couldnt keep the del Sol from getting wet inside....

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Those seals on the delsol are just a hard problem to solve, even for Hondas engineers. The cowl intake position doesnt help either. Mine always smelled musty if i let it sit windows up for a few days

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
The redesigned replacement seals work very well. My 94 must have had them replaced a long time ago, and the most I've seen is 2-3 drops during a crazy storm. The same storm dumped a cup into my Integra thru the bad cowl/heater seal. It did have a leaky cowl too, but now I replace that seal on all my Civics/tegs first thing.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The redesigned replacement seals work very well. My 94 must have had them replaced a long time ago, and the most I've seen is 2-3 drops during a crazy storm. The same storm dumped a cup into my Integra thru the bad cowl/heater seal. It did have a leaky cowl too, but now I replace that seal on all my Civics/tegs first thing.
I have the redesigned ones, but I installed them a long time ago lol might be due for another set....

This was a real bad storm, they dont tend to leak much during a normal storm/shower. But with tropical downpour and high winds, it gets soaked inside. Not to mention the typical 94 Civic passenger side under-dash leak, right next to the ecu! Geez

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Mine was a 97 and it still let a drip or three down in hard rain. I suspect if you dont keep it greased, they shrink and never come back

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mine was a 97 and it still let a drip or three down in hard rain. I suspect if you dont keep it greased, they shrink and never come back
Thats the funny part, I just cleaned and treated the seals the week before lol Im blaming this incident on the high winds and heavier than usual rain.

Seems the longer I go without taking the roof off, the less it leaks. IDK if thats true, but Ive owned this car for over 10 years now. But seems Ive observed that multiple times, may be coincidence

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Spray your ECU with conformal coating spray, it'll protect it against water damage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts