Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i/h/e with 10.5 compression + zex stage-2 cam on a 2000 model d16y8 sedan with the stock obd2b ecu i think..

gonna go for a tune real soon.. what ecu would you guys recommend? the p08 or the p28? and i'll be getting it tuned by this local dude here on the dyno..what would be a realistic gain to expect? i'm making around 128 whp at the moment which seems pretty low.. i just wanna know whether i'll be spending another 300 dollars for just 3-4 whp or what? i'm an all motor fan and i know its alot more expensive than just throwing a turbo in there, but thats what the tuner said.."dont expect much"

how much of a gain did you guys get after tuning? any before after numbers?

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
go with the p28 thats what im doin and im getting it chipped with Crome. 300 seems low, but i know hondata is 300 just for the program, then say 100 for the ecu. then chipping, around 80, then dyno, around 150...it will end up being over 600.

As far as gains, not sure really, maybe 5-10hp just depends on tuner and programs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know the guy somewhat..so the entire thing is costing around 400 dollars..

so 400 dollars for 3-4 whp ..oh well its not so much for the gain i want to tune as it is to fix this stammering i get in the motor below 3200 rpm..its been there ever since i got the zex stage-2 cam installed. i get a jerk at 3200 in every gear and from there on its all smooth but upto 3200 rpm the car hardly moves. i thought i'd get that fixed through proper fueling ..

so for my current setup..with a p28 ecu any idea what base map i should go with guys?

and thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is no such thing as tuning with a stock ECU. Even if it has a "chip" or piggyback. Those methods simply do not allow for real tuning. Even if you make some slight gains under certain conditions, your driveability is going to suck and you're putting your engine at risk.

The AEM EMS is going for $1500-2000. That's actually CHEAP. Please, do not talk about "tuning" unless you're talking about a standalone.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i think 'tuning' on the dyno would suffice for now..what you're describing is some serious tuning which on my current setup would definitely not give a bang for the buck..maybe if i had a highly boosted d16 i'd consider going for that but for now i'll just go with the obd1 conversion. when i said tuning i meant getting all my current mods to work in harmony because thats definitely not the case at the moment and my low #'s would be proof of that

p.s: how would i be putting my engine at risk?! i thought a properly tuned engine would be less at risk if everythings in sync?!

i'm more confused than ever now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is no such thing as tuning with a stock ECU. Even if it has a "chip" or piggyback. Those methods simply do not allow for real tuning. Even if you make some slight gains under certain conditions, your driveability is going to suck and you're putting your engine at risk.

The AEM EMS is going for $1500-2000. That's actually CHEAP. Please, do not talk about "tuning" unless you're talking about a standalone.
Are you kidding??????

I have seen 500HP Honda motors with chipped ECUs

·
Registered
854 Posts
There is no such thing as tuning with a stock ECU. Even if it has a "chip" or piggyback. Those methods simply do not allow for real tuning.
a socketed honda ECU techincally is a piggyback. however, the chip in the socket replaces the entire ROM the ECU uses to get fuel and timing maps so it allows for complete control. in that sense, a socketed ECU is equivalent to a standalone (AEM EMS, FAST, moTec).

AFCs/emanage are "typical" piggybacks which trick the ECU into thinking something. AFCs are JANK and 100% USELESS for hondas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.