Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to swapping out my springs/shocks on my Del Sol Si. Are Koni/GC overkill on a weekend car? It's not a daily, I drive it on Saturday nights and Sunday. I'm not boosted yet so racing/tracking isn't a priority at the moment. The car currently has kyb shocks and tien springs. I'm happy with the current ride height, but cornering is a little loose; previous owner removed the rear sway bar for some reason. Just curious as to your guy's opinion on whether the money for gc/koni's will be a waste?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Replace your suspension bushings and rebuild your steering system. That will help more than new shocks and springs. If you do put in a swaybar don't go too big with a Del Sol. Those things are wet noodles. heh

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why would they remove the stock rear sway? it's only like 13mm or something
I haven't understood most of what was done to the car before I got it.

Replace your suspension bushings and rebuild your steering system. That will help more than new shocks and springs. If you do put in a swaybar don't go too big with a Del Sol. Those things are wet noodles. heh
I'm glad you said that I was eyeing the one that comes with the asr brace. Shocks need replacing either way. Was toying with the eibach pro plus system if I didn't do koni/gc. Already have Hardrace flca and rlca about to order the other bushings. Also picked up their last heater hose kit for a d series eg.

Get a rear sway bar.
Already on it.

Thanks for all the input. Basically seems like a yes it's overkill. Lol

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Yeah for a street car, if you keep the ride height up and the spring rates low, the car will ride and handle well on OEM stype shocks (which include shit like GR2, blues, etc.)

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
If my car had needs like bushings, bearings, tires, etc. to address, I would do all that first and foremost, then, once I knew the car was solid, assess whether or not I felt it was worth taking to the next level...

Which I did lol...I don't think that setup is "overkill" for any type of driving, I would think even somebody that thought the stock suspension was perfect would be impressed by the K/GC with appropriate spring rates. Firm but not harsh or bouncy, easy to adjust, well made.

·
Registered
95 civic ex
171 Posts
If my car had needs like bushings, bearings, tires, etc. to address, I would do all that first and foremost, then, once I knew the car was solid, assess whether or not I felt it was worth taking to the next level...

Which I did lol...I don't think that setup is "overkill" for any type of driving, I would think even somebody that thought the stock suspension was perfect would be impressed by the K/GC with appropriate spring rates. Firm but not harsh or bouncy, easy to adjust, well made.
I agree, not overkill. I just installed the koni/gc setup on my ej, and ever since then I look for reasons to go drive my car..and I commute 500+ miles a week in it already!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Definitely not overkill. Koni/GC are an awesome budget setup for a daily. I drive ~1600 miles a month on mine.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I think it would be perfect I'm about to do my suspension as soon as i get off work

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

My laundry room has a wall full of hard race boxes awaiting me to put them on. Just wanting to do everything at one time. Also addressing my brakes at that time.

Thank you everyone for the input. I had my mind set on the k/gc combo for awhile; along with asr subframe/rear sway combo. The only other option would be to get the eibach pro system plus to save money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts