Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I dropped in this used burned engine from a different car but same as my D17A2 engine. I realized that I have overheating and so I assumed it was more coolant needed so bled the system and ad more coolant as it was low. I saw coolant coming from the back of the engine and I double check and i found the clamp wasn’t on and hose for the water pump pipe so I fixed it and everything seems fine until now I took it for 50 miles drive and just as I left off the highway on my way back after I cross this train line close to home I have the overheating issues again. I opened the hood and saw coolant everywhere on the hoses, wires, on the transmission and the valve cover. I turned on the car to see if it will spray coolant while the engine running but there was non. I then tried to open the radiator cap and saw coolant spraying from the coolant overflow tank like crazy. The tank wasn’t full so why is it full now? I checked to make sure that the fans are working and they were coming on and off when I put in this engine.
What you guys think? Could it be the thermostat or the head need gasket.?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
228 Posts
Let it cool, fill the radiator, put the cap on, start it and power brake it to 2000 rpms, then feel ghe hoses for pressure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
He wouldn't have made it 50 miles with a stuck shut thermo, seems like a blown head gasket to me, pushing coolant out until there is enough air in the system for it to boil. My wifes 03 did the same thing, only overheated after 30 miles or a hill climb.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
784 Posts
He wouldn't have made it 50 miles with a stuck shut thermo, seems like a blown head gasket to me, pushing coolant out until there is enough air in the system for it to boil. My wifes 03 did the same thing, only overheated after 30 miles or a hill climb.
Sometimes they'll jam partially open, or not open fully and restrict flow. May not be, but it's possible.

·
Registered
228 Posts
"dropped in used burned motor from another car"

but his other thread said
Im thinking he may need to find in person help and instruction after reviewing his other threads, looks like he had just done rings, mains, and rod bearing on the motor he blew before swapping to this one, either that or ditch the 7th gen so he can get a real D.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,923 Posts

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
172 Posts

Buddy, your answers won't change lol

Just stop working on your car

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Remove the thermostat, pop the gasket on the thermostat off and back into the housing carefully, and put the thermostat cover back on, do NOT pinch the gasket and create a leak.

Turn the car on after topping off the coolant. Make sure the heater is turned to fully hot, and put the fan on low, just to bring some air movement. Simply getting a feel for how hot the heater is outputting as it warms up.

Now use the damn coolant bleeder right on the housing the upper rad hose goes to. Its there for a reason. When the engine is warmed up, hit the throttle hard a few times, snapping it to 3000rpm or so. Dont hold it there. You are burping all the air out with increased water pump movement.

D17 engines are notorious for head gaskets. This is NOT a guarantee yours is bad, but might as well do it anyways. Any time you use a junkyard motor, you should bare minimum do a head gasket and timing belt.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Once you verify nothing is wrong, grab a new thermostat and a new radiator cap.

A radiator cap can and will fail, and is actually more common than compared to using an OEM honda thermostat.

Aftermarket thermostats fail far more often, because no one wants to do simple fucking quality control anymore, they just want your money.

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,152 Posts
Page 4 from my life lessons diary:

96.1182% of the time I've replaced thermostats or radiator caps because myself or others thought they were the cause of overheating concerns, the head gasket was the actual issue.

I've only replaced like 4 thermostats or radiator caps in my 15 year career that were true root causes of overheating issues.

With the D17's rep, I'd never straight put a junkyard engine in a customer's car without full top end love. Overheating was probably why the car found its way to the junkyard in the first place, customer went broke replacing radiator caps and thermostats :)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Ive dealt with several radiator caps and thermostats causing issues.

The headgaskets, aside from the D17s, dont just randomly go bad, or "have a mielage". They needed encouragement, aka, overheating first. Once that occured, that is when the headgaskets start to go. Might take a couple years, might take a couple months. All it takes is overheating one time.

The D17's had faulty headgaskets in my opinion, and part of that was due to honda's low torque spec on the head bolts. Calls for 65 foot pounds I think. I always used new bolts, and went to 85-90 foot pounds with oil on the head of the bolt and washer, clean and dry threads. 75 if the threads were oiled at all

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,152 Posts
Yeah, the overheating once thing is what usually does it.

I find the thing that goes first leading to overheating are the OE radiators used in those cars... Toyota used those same ones on some of the Camry's the the top rad tank loves to dry rot and get hairline cracks in them, leaking slowly over time.

And it slowly leaks down the rad face, evaporating the water before hitting the ground, so you never notice a leak unless your customer has a trained nose or an eagle eye.

Once enough has slowly leaked out, there is now enough air in there to allow for easy boiling due to inability to build needed pressure. And in those engines, one overheat is all it takes to warp the head.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I truly never understood Hondas direction change with the d17, every change made seemed aimed directly at causing more issues that were more expensive to fix. Even the suspension and chassis seemed designed to foil builders at every turn.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,923 Posts
I truly never understood Hondas direction change with the d17, every change made seemed aimed directly at causing more issues that were more expensive to fix. Even the suspension and chassis seemed designed to foil builders at every turn.
because how dare these peasants make these cars sooo fast and keep them on the roads for so long. how ever will we make a profit if they keep repairing them......

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Every change on the D17 itself helped fuel efficiency, power, and emissions reduction over the OBD1/OBD2 a/b D16s

The chassis is not "designed" to foil builders. It was designed to create substantial push and understeer to keep the average retard on the road, as 98% of civic owners keep them stock and drive them normally. AKA, dont want a car that reacts at the touch of a bad hand movement

run stiffer springs in the rear, raise the front balljoints using extended ones, the chassis seriously improves its handling.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Every change on the D17 itself helped fuel efficiency, power, and emissions reduction over the OBD1/OBD2 a/b D16s

The chassis is not "designed" to foil builders. It was designed to create substantial push and understeer to keep the average retard on the road, as 98% of civic owners keep them stock and drive them normally. AKA, dont want a car that reacts at the touch of a bad hand movement

run stiffer springs in the rear, raise the front balljoints using extended ones, the chassis seriously improves its handling.
My wifes bone stock 2003 lx blows 107 ppm hc and 680ppm NOx and its on the low side of average for the gas limits, gets 26 mpg in California traffic, 10 sec 0-60 with ac on. now compare to my z6 eg, 91 ppm HC, 438 ppm NOx, 36 mpg combined and though untested i can guarantee it beats the 0-60 with ac on time, still have to fix the ac and we will find out. Just seems like a step backwards to me. Don't get me wrong, its a perfectly ok little car and has a heart of gold, my 5 foot nothing wife loves it. but as far a build... meh. OK thread jacking over, sorry.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts