Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rover 400 (with D-series) has been overheating. I flush the radiator about a month before it started, and after it began I took out the thermostat to see if that was the problem, it wasnt. It overheats in traffic or at idle ONLY after driving at high speed. Would it be the water pump, or is there something wrong with the radiator? The fan is fine also.
Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
My Rover 400 (with D-series) has been overheating. I flush the radiator about a month before it started, and after it began I took out the thermostat to see if that was the problem, it wasnt. It overheats in traffic or at idle ONLY after driving at high speed. Would it be the water pump, or is there something wrong with the radiator? The fan is fine also.
Thanks
The fan comes on? How do you have it setup, the best is to have it PULL air from outside toward the engine make sure the fan is wired correctly as well, also bleed coolant properly if you haven't already.

Since it only overheats in traffic or not when moving, leads me to believe it is an air flow issue with the fan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coolant is splattering out of the overflow tank. I dont think its a fan problem because its fine when I'm driving around town, its just only after I blast through the countryside and stop and idle that it starts to rise up. As well, the fan appears to be working fine and looks fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's probably the head gasket. You might be able to smell exhaust in the overflow tank.
Any white smoke coming out of the exhaust? Does the coolant seem oily at all? Usually a leaking head gasket will leak coolant back into the cylinders and burn off as white steam, that as well as pushing coolant into the overflow. You can know for sure by running a compression test to see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 01 Accord. Drove great but after getting off freeway temp would start to rise. Coolant would flow into the resivior but not get sucked back in the rad. So rad would not have enough coolant. Also coolant in rad would bubble a little. So.......blown headgasket! I think you have the same problem op.

·
Registered
152 Posts
theres a bunch of tests you can do.

id start first by pressurising the coolant system and seeing if anything is leaking.

if no leaks, see if the pressure drops.

stratton.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Yep, sounds like a headgasket on its way out.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
Pressure test the system & the cap. The system builds ~16psi which raises the boiling point 20-30 degrees. W/o pressure you can have localized boiling around the sleeves at most engine speeds/loads. You can do a hydrocarbon test of the coolant to help see if it's the head gasket.

Also if you completely remove the t-stat, you can have a situation where the coolant moves too fast. It doesn't absorb as much heat from the sleeves, nor does it loose as much heat in the radiator. So if your t-stat was stuck open, removing it wouldn't net any change. Check the t-stat by boiling water and seeing if/when it opens. It should open before it reaches a slow boil, or ~190F.

It most likely is the HG, but trust me those tests should be done first. Nothing is worse than tossing time & money at a problem only for it to be something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts