Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question I was wondering if my temp needle reaches mid point if that is considered overheating it started yesterday after a long drive I noticed at mid point I did take it to 5-6k rpm for 2 gears then just lead off and cruised but was wondering if it's considered overheating because it happened once again today but once I reached my destination so I just shut it off any help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you mean never? Mine neither it's usually 1/3 the way always below midpoint but then last night it went up a bit and today also after I reached my destination and parked it it rose up a little

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok it's the first time it's done so I was wondering if it's normal I had a feeling it wasn't because it's not up by the H but had to make seeing this is my daily

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
When you did the pull, you made more power faster, so you made more heat.

Now the cooling system had to remove more heat.

The outside temp will also affect how much heat is removed from the radiator. You can tell it really good in my part of the country.
98* with 90+% humidity, heat index of 110* cars run much warmer than when its 75* with 60% humidity.

So it is just normal the temp on the gauge went up.

Factory gauges are not the most accurate.

What was your actual temp?

How old is the temp sender to the gauge?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My actual temp I don't know it's a bone stock d16z6 so it's not turboed I was basing my reading off of the gauge but I do live in Florida and it does get quite humid and hot but my temp has never gone up that far until I did a slight pull last night

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I realized it started to go up when I'm at the light or parked when I'm driving it comes back down..... Thermostat? My fans are on

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Mine doesnt go up past 1/3 or so, parked or moving, 60-102 degrees out side, doesnt matter.

Dont think its the thermostat, but it is easy to test, take it out, put in a pot of water, slowly heat and watch if it opens.

Fans could not be pulling enough air through, clogged radiator? Check hoses for flow, does it go down if you turn the heater on?

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Thats typical after a pull and you stop moving, RPM is down, so that slows the movement of the water pump, so the coolant is not moving as fast.

Also add in you do not have air flow thu the rad when you are stopped or parked.

Also air follows the path of least resistance, so if the rad is not sealed to the core support, or the fans to the rad, air will go around and not thu the rad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the pull was yesterday so.. And it was a slight pull nothing drastic as it did start to go up I turned on the heater and it did come back down

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I 100% agree with you on general principle Bogus, but honda makes it so their temp gauges stay at around 40%, EVERY honda I have driven from an 82 accord to a 2007 civic acts the exact same way. I dont know if they make the range for that needle position really wide or what, but I can tell you that if you are going above the standard ~40% range on a relatively stock honda, something is wrong.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,380 Posts
My actual temp I don't know it's a bone stock d16z6 so it's not turboed I was basing my reading off of the gauge but I do live in Florida and it does get quite humid and hot but my temp has never gone up that far until I did a slight pull last night
what part of florida? mine only reaches the half way point and sits there, or slightly under.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
South FL mine reached middle and then started to go up a bit more as I was waiting at the light turned on the heat and it came back down

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,380 Posts
not moving means no air flow. normal. worry about it if it climbs with the heater on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hm idk if I wanna have the heater on 24/7 especially in FL lol but still want to try and see if there's a problem this all started last night

1 - 20 of 44 Posts