Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most of you know my setup for those who dont here a quick rundown

eagle/vitara y8 bottom end, fully built z6 top end, ff mani with hx35, eghey dual core radiator and slim fan with home made shroud.

story:

so i went to the wmhm in south haven, mi ...my first longer trip with the car at about 70 miles. needle looked great for the first 40 miles then it started creaping up to half, hit construction and was stuck for 20 min going 15mph car cooled back off and dropped down to normal and stayed for the remaineder of the trip.

on the way home it again was good for about 40 miles and then went to half way mark, i tryed kicking on the heat and the heat was not blowing, so im not sure if i didnt hook something back up when the dash was out or if maybe the heater core could be clogged. it stayed at about the half way mark, at times would drop back to normal or at least closer too, it would climb back up pulling some of the lonnnnngggg uphill grades. but eh it never went past halfway to really alarm me.

so yesterday i had some running around to do. and after about 20-30 min of driving i stopped at the little ceasers around the corner from my house to grab some $5 action. as i waited for my pizza i left the car running, assuming it was hot and ready....dont know why i would have thought that....5 min later still no pizza i go to check the car...its between the half and 2/3 area. i pop the hood and go back in to grab the pizza, when i come out the water temp is normal?!?

do i have an airflow problem? wtf....i figured it would help but not so much to drop it back to normal temps....on top of that i do have a vented hood which would lead me to believe it aids in airflow circulation.

should also mention both days were in the mid 90's

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no leaks...at least not that makes it to my garage floor

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Any leaks?
Had a problem kinda like that on anoter car of mines. Turn out it was a small leak on the iacv hose. Would lose anout a bottle of water a montj.
Same here. I had a small pinhole leak in my IACV hose. It was un noticeable to the eye, but car would over heat.

Pin hole leaks suck. Check the back of the block for any coolant stains. That's how I was able to find mine.

·
Registered
801 Posts
no leaks...at least not that makes it to my garage floor
could be burning off on the motor, i had a tiny leak on my thermostat housing that did this.

also check your heater valve in the engine bay

and lastly replace your thermostat, i had similar symptoms with similar results except i had heat. I had a sticking thermostat, heat would creep up, then suddenly it would snap back to normal and stay there. would only do it like once a month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts