Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My damn engine keeps overheating. Its a new d15b and it drove fine for about a day. I noticed that it was lewaking a little coolant. then one day on the way to work it got way too hot so I pulled over and it was smoking and coolant was everywhere. I decided to blame it on old hoses and clamp so I replaced all of them. Unfortunately Today it started getting too hot again so I just had a friend tow it to my house. It wasnt leaking any coolant. I think the thermostat is good because the upper radiator hose is hot which means coolant is going through it. What the hell?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But I drove it pretty hard a few times and it was fine. does that mean it was the head gasket. Also the engine has only been in my car for less that a hundred miles. Wouldnt the compression test they do show the bad gasket?

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
Check and be sure the fan switch and fans are working properly. That was an issue on my teg for a while, once i replaced it, my temp gauge never went above 1/3.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BUt the temperature rises while Im actually moving. the airflow should cool the radiator enough. Its not like its a little warm. It will go past the temp limit if I let it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I just went outside and let it warm up. the coolant isnt bubbling, both hoes are hot. I drove around my neighborhood a few times pretty hard. No overheating. then I turned on my air and was going to drive around some more. before I could pull out, it started overheating. I turned around. When I shut off the air the temp stopped rising. I then revved the engin and the temp dropped to half way. Could something in my ac be fucking everything up?

·
one of D-series.org's nicest rides
1,308 Posts
get a compression check....could be gasket or worse....craked sleave or something...I doubt its nothing that serious...also could be your radiator is busted...thermostat or the fan could not be working correctly...thats all I could think of...try not to drive it when overheating....your head will get warped

·
Registered
92 EH2
439 Posts
so its starts overheating when you cut on the A/C? check the A/C compressor and make sure its not seized up. just as a precaution make sure the fans are kicking on. if you have A/C, 1 fan turns on with the A/C and the other is for the radiator.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bith fans work and the ac is cold so the compressir is good. Im taking it to pep bnoys for a compression check

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well pep boys cant figure it out and cant get it to overheat. Im guessing it will overheat on my way to work tomorrow. Is there a definite way to know if its the head gasket other than taking off the head. Im really trying to avoid this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you turbo? If you are you could have a head lifting problem where under boost or if you running the motor hard the head will lift. Check that your head bolts are properly torqued. I had this same problem last month. My head bolts backed off from the pressure the turbo was putting in the cylinders. It's really easy to check this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to the guy at hmotorsonline.com (steve I think) he said I need a bigger condensor and radiator. It does only overheat when I use my ac. He said a bad head gasket will make it overheat right away. So I guess my new question is, does anyone know where I can get dual core radiators and condensors for a decent price?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
that sounds like bullshit. Is your radiator and/or condensor damaged in any way? If not, do a radiator flush with that stuff that gets the scale out... take it to Midas or something. Have them do the whole engine coolant system, too. That guy may be right... but he difinitely wants to make more $$ off of you.

It's a stock motor right? Then you don't need anything bigger. Only stock RX7's need bigger radiators. Just see if you can fix what you have first... might be a LOT cheaper.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a d15b with aem intake. It actually makes sense though. It only happens when its hot outside (I live in vegas its like 110), I drive a distance, and the air is on. Hatchback dx's do have a small single core radiator. I got a new metal tank del sol radiator for 100 bucks. It will be here on tuesday and if it still doesnt work Im just going to drive it off a cliff. Oh and I found out all the condensors are the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts