Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this stupid problem and I cannot fix it...

Civic ej1, jdm sohc zc vtec engine

I had an overheating issue on Xmas eve due to a broken heater pipe.

I replaced the pipe, replaced the thermostat (OEM), replaced the radiator cap from a KOYO oem (the rad is koyo) and...

After 4-5 hours of duty, I find the top radiator little empty and all the water in the reservoir tank!!! The water won't go back to the rad and sometimes it cause the car to run a little hotter. I pour it back and it the exact amount to fill the rad back up!

The radiator cap is brand new how this is happening?

after visual inspection, no line is leaking, the fan is operating well, the thermostat is working, NO oil in radiator fluid, no coolant in oil, no white smoke.

I'm stuck! any idea?

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
did you bleed the entire system after refilling the radiator?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made all kind of manners

The prob here is, water is not missing. The water will just go from rad to the overfill tank, but it won't come back to radiator! (again the rad cap is new, bought it 2 days ago)
So my guess is there is high pressure all the time? But why? What is pressurizing the rad to spill water in the OFtank?
I thought The HG could be blowing inside the cooling system... but There is no oil, the coolant seems clean.

I was wonder if a HG leak to cooling system could come from the EXHAUST area in the gasket...

I'm banging my head on the wall!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I made all kind of manners

The prob here is, water is not missing. The water will just go from rad to the overfill tank, but it won't come back to radiator! (again the rad cap is new, bought it 2 days ago)
So my guess is there is high pressure all the time? But why? What is pressurizing the rad to spill water in the OFtank?
I thought The HG could be blowing inside the cooling system... but There is no oil, the coolant seems clean.

I was wonder if a HG leak to cooling system could come from the EXHAUST area in the gasket...

I'm banging my head on the wall!
your story is like remembering a nightmare for me.:( i had the same problem too, i think exactly same. you can read about it here:

http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=54203

the problem in my engine was that the block surface wasn't flat and exhaust was leaking into my water system and was pressurizing it and pushing all the water to reservoir tank. i decided to go with a new engine since old one had given too much trouble to me and it wasn't so reliable after all. i rebuild the new engine and now everything is working fine.( knock on wood!!!! )

hope yours is a simple issue and not like mine but just gave you the link since a lot of people helped me at that time and i thought their ideas might be useful for you too.

good luck, i can understand what you r going through right now!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
well
I'm going to shoot to 2 simpler problems..

1 I bought a new radiator cap, this one is 1.1 (@16lbs) new one I installed before is 0.9 (@12lbs) so maybe it's too weak to hold the pressure.

2. Bought a brand new fan switch... maybe the switch decalibrated itself on the nasty overheat and possibly is starting the fan few degrees later after it's suppost to.

I'll try to do this tonight. If not, It could be a damaged piston (which I doubt because they are forged) or slighty damaged head gasket.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
i had a warped head in my car and never seen a difference in my oil. By looking at the dipstick you couldnt see a difference. If you pull your valve cover off it will tell you if you have any problems with leaking head or gasket. you could possibly just pull the oil cap off and tell with a flashlight. not sure.

Reactions: areskzc

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had a warped head in my car and never seen a difference in my oil. By looking at the dipstick you couldnt see a difference. If you pull your valve cover off it will tell you if you have any problems with leaking head or gasket. you could possibly just pull the oil cap off and tell with a flashlight. not sure.
I'll try it too.
Thanx

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Warped block or warped head is common. Thats whats wrong with mine I'm almost sure. I simply lose coolant and have to top it off about every other week. I'm pretty sure it's leaking out the side of the engine and not into the cylinders, but I could be wrong.

Good luck! My solution is going to be a replacement engine, so I'm not of much help I guess...

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
haysoos check your plugs, it will be clear if you're burnign coolant. and take it from someone who knows from experience, do NOT drive around burngin coolant. did that in my truck and now i got horrible compression and need to replace the motor...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think I warped anything...

1. I'm not loosing coolant
2. coolant missing in rad is found in the Overflow tank.
3. No oil or mixture in coolant
4. No water bubbles on de dipstick, checked with a flash light oil under valve cover it's clean.
5. I have no bubbles when the engine is one and the rad cap is off.
6. no leaks
7. No white smoke, no sweet odors from exhaust. (just dark black because mixture it's too rich)
8. I have no power loss

I could probably think I bought the wrong cap 0.9(@12psi) I have a newer one bought it yesterday it's a 1.1 (@16PSI). I bet the 0.9 it's too weak for the pressure.
also bought a new fan switch that could be decalibrated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts