Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an overheating problem, I traded for a 91 civic, whean I got it the kid had bypassed the coolant temp relay sensor on the thermo housing.
He had the fan hard wired to a toggle switch Im guessing because his engine harness was all jacked up with no plug for the sensor. I replaced the engine harness with a brand new on, I then re-hooked up the temp switch and my car is still overheating.

Now, I just built this car from engine up meaning EVERY sensor but 1 is all BRAND NEW.. I have just replaced the radiator as well so Im kind of stuck why the hell my engine is still overheating.. Heat temp sensor, coolant temp switch, coolant relay switch, coolant sender switch, thermostat are all BRAND NEW ???? Help jajaja thanks hope I explained that well enough. not my greatest strength..

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
Is the fan pressed right up to the radiator?

Probably a dumb question, but ive seen it 1st hand

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,944 Posts
bleed the system? pressure test coolant? thermostat opening?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Staypuffy 578
water pump is my next step, just need to put it in..

Esotericimage
yes the fan is zip tied to the rad, thats how I got the car, fan seems to not be the right one the bolt holes dont match up with the radiator

Sac*HXy5
Dont know what a leak down test is

Slo Eg8
bleed the system and the thermo is opening and closing tested over the stove.. Have not pressure tested it though

Appreciate all the help fellaz

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right on appreciate that, and nope I have nothing leaking again everything is new all gaskets sensors engine wiring (engine harness) Ive came down to 2 possible choices the water pump and the dash harness where it plugs into the fan. I was hoping it was something simple, appreciate the help for sure

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Timing was set, but who knows seems people dont know wtf their doing anymore.. Will have that re looked at as well

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
over heating when the needle passes the half way mark and keeps rising, course I never let it reach the top I shut the engine off before then, yeah its a stock or factory cluster, about to have it compression tested tomorrow and looked at, hopefully he can pin point wtf is going on, appreciate all the help

·
DIY Guru
637 Posts
You need to have a gauge with numbers, so you know what your actual temp is.

you are guessing, and assuming that you are over heating.

the engine could be just fine and running at normal temps and the gauge is what is busted.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Does the fan come on when it starts to over heat?
Have you tested the coolant for a headgasket? Not all of them will make the oil coolant mix.

Have yiu bleed the coolant correctly? (Jacking up the front and cranking the heat on.

While its over heating have you turn the heat on full and see if it drops the temp?

Have you check the upper and lower hose to see if they are the same temp?

And have you plug the spark plugs to see if there is any coolant on them. (Normally its a dark brown or yellowish spots)

And finally isbthe fan blow the correct way? Into the engine bay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts