Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen, I know all of you guys have seen this thread a billion times but I really can't figure out what my problem is. When I first got the car, the temp sensor didn't work. Regardless of this, I still drove it for like 4 weeks straight (not knowing if I was even overheating or not). When I finallly got the gauge working again, I noticed it would slowly get hot, whether it was just sitting there or if I was on the highway. So i flushed the cooling system, but when doing so I noticed that the air bleeder valve was not where it should have been. I know on my old civ the valve was where the upper hose went into the head, but this one had just like a big hole (no valve/nut to turn at all). There was no coolent coming out of the hole (so I guess it was kind of an indention). So I didn't bleed the system, mainly because I didn't know how. So after doing this, it helped the problem a little bit but not completely. After more investigating I found that my rad fan was not coming on. After changing the thermosensor, it still wouldn't work; so I hooked it up via a switch. The damn thing still gets hot/overheats with the damn fan running at all times!!!! I haven't tried the thermostat yet, but it seems like its opening, because both hoses (upper/lower radiator) are getting hot. If it ain't air in the system or the thermostat what else could it be? I'm really hoping its not a blown head gasket or a messed up radiator.... I really need some help. This thing is my daily driver. Whats really scary is that this has probably been happening since I got the thing and I just didn't know it.

*On a side note, whenver I stop the car and the gauge is pegged out, I check under the hood but it is never "boiling over" Everything seems fine when looking under the hood... so im lost...

·
Registered
205 Posts
replace the thermostat NOW no matter they are cheap and could cause your car to blow the head gasket anyhow. I was in the middle of a long trip and mine went and within 5 miles of it starting to get warm my head was toasted. <--trying to make it to the exit.

Also you may check to see if your fan is kicking on when it should if it is not you will need to check your fuse for it and the fan motor to see if you need to get a new fan.

Dysturbed

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i was looking for why the fan wasn't running i checked the fuse, relay, and the fan motor itself. Everything was alright. Im guessing theres a break in the wiring somewhere, so to solve that problem i just wired the fan up to a switch.

is it possible for the thermostat to be functioning, but just not properly (like maybe opening up only half way or something like that)? because there is definately coolent flowing through the system, but it still gets hot... so again I guess ill try the thermostat, but do you guys really think that is the problem?

·
Registered
119 Posts
if the wires are backwords on thermosensor the fan will not work. i have put in engines started them and seen the gage start to climb. shut off the motor switch the wires and the fan works

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did that already, but I guess Ill do it again. I am no longer worried about the fan running, since I ran a switch for that. Its just that the car continues to heat up when Im sitting still, and if Im driving at high rpms anywhere... any other ideas!?!?!?!? thermoSTAT? radiator? head gasket?

·
Registered
94 civic dx
1,876 Posts
so wait... my car - when i was warming it up (cold start) and waiting for the fan to come on... it never came on (like 10-15 minutes later???). but i felt the hose, and the fluid did come through... but my temp guage was still in it's normal spot. (threadjack?) is my fan screwed... or is it still ok. i mean the gauge is normal - everything's normal... but just the fan that's throwing me off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd take it in for a pressure test and see if its a head gasket problem. Are you loosing coolant at all?

Lets hope its something like a rad, or a faulty thermostat and not the head gasket.

The coolant sys can be a real headache, best of luck man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts