Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background info, I have a D16y8 with a Greddy 15g kit. My question is, does everyone else running this kit have their coolant temps start to climb on long highway grades? At first I thought it was because I wasn't running an intercooler, but then I installed a small front mount intercooler and my coolant temps still climb on the grades. The longer the grade, the more it'll over heat. I normally just switch on the heater to expand the fluid capacity of my cooling system and it maintains a normal coolant temp. But if I didn't switch on my heater, it would keep climbing into the red.

I figured it's just my inefficient, heat soaked Greddy log manifold, which transfers heat into my engine head, in turn raising my coolant temps but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Maybe wrap the dp? I dont like the cheapy fans from ebay, I had one but put my stocker back on with my alum rd. Works too good when its not summer time lol I also swap back tothe stock rad this time of year, but im not boosted.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
stock rad and fan are more than sufficent for our motors (boosted at 325whp w/ 1/2 rad and never had an issue with overheating). Odds are you have either
1.) low flow (when was the last time the pump was checked/changed
2.) improper coolant mixture
3.) old coolant
4.) blocked passages
5.) faulty thermostat

I would recomend a full flush (back flush) and refil, replace the water pump (and t-belt while your at it along with tensioner), new cap, and t-stat. Then see if the problem still occurs.

Also clean the outside of the rad really well with a dilute vinegar mixture (5% vinegar 95% water) making sure to clean the spaces between the coils really well.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
automatic radiator is thicker than 5 speed unit for more cooling.

If coolant flow is ok and overflow isn't filling up from a HG pushing coolant out, look into the tuning.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
automatic radiator is thicker than 5 speed unit for more cooling.

If coolant flow is ok and overflow isn't filling up from a HG pushing coolant out, look into the tuning.
OEM Honda yes, but its not the same case with aftermarket anymore.

I got a 1/4 inch thick one when I did a lifetime warranty replacement on my old 2 inch automatic. :(

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
OEM Honda yes, but its not the same case with aftermarket anymore.

I got a 1/4 inch thick one when I did a lifetime warranty replacement on my old 2 inch automatic. :(
You can't measure lately can you?

3/4" manual vs. 1" autotragic.

Yeah, I'm an asshole :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
so the automatic radiator is better? buts just the oem ones?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
stock rad and fan are more than sufficent for our motors (boosted at 325whp w/ 1/2 rad and never had an issue with overheating). Odds are you have either
3.) old coolant
4.) blocked passages
5.) faulty thermostat

I would recomend a full flush (back flush) and refil, replace the water pump (and t-belt while your at it along with tensioner), new cap, and t-stat. Then see if the problem still occurs.

Also clean the outside of the rad really well with a dilute vinegar mixture (5% vinegar 95% water) making sure to clean the spaces between the coils really well.
The maintenance of the cooling system was my first thought. The cooling system is recommend flushing every 2 years w/ green all make and model coolant. Have you verified the fan is even coming on?

·
Registered
138 Posts
3.) old coolant
4.) blocked passages
5.) faulty thermostat

nothing else needed to be said after this :clap::clap:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts