Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last month I took a friend to the junk yard to help him get his 94 eg with gsr, bar'd. On the way back home the car overheated. I changed the thermostat didn't help, so I had the water pump and all the belts while at it, changed since the bottom hose stayed cool also I changed the radiator. It seemed to fix the problem but I notice the engine runs a little hotter than b4. It used to run about a lil over 1/4 now its a closer to the 1/2 way mark... any way I drive to work everyday and on the hotter days after about 30 mins freeway and I come to a stop the temp rises and after a little over 1/2 way I feel the fan kick in and the temp drops but then keeps jumping up and down and eventually keeps going pass the 3/4 mark then I shut off the car b4 it reaches the red. There's no smoke no oil in the reservior or milky oil. By the way my car is a 95 civic dx with 161xxx stock d15b7 with only i/e and d16a6 cam.

What do you guys think hg? Maybe... its only hit the red once the first time and maybe once more after the water pump was changed. I am adding water about twice a week maybe and I know this can't be good.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
head gasket is a def possibiltiy.

they make a tester that you put where your rad cap goes and you run your car and it detects combustion gases....

of course on my nissan i had a blown hg and it said i didnt...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bleed the cooling system, if still overheating, it is a blown HG, i had the same overheating issue and it was the HG.
Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to think it was maybe the fan thermstat was bad or somethin because it seems like by the time the fan kicked in it was to late but in the back of my mind I stil think it was the hg. Ill go test it like cm green said... thanks guys its funny how I dint know much bout the cooling system til this happened and been researching on here and found great info again thnaks d-series

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah my overheating issue definelty has something to do with the combustion chamber for the water to be leaking out the reservior am take it the school campus they have a smog machine to check the combustion gases... ay I should be fine driving the car this way for a week or 2 right??? As long as check and add water/antifeeze as it needs it and not let the car heat up so much?

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
mine did the same ('95 DX ) this was the final solution, about 2-3weeks after it started having these syptoms, because i didnt fix the blown head gasket and just kept filling it with water...

http://d-series.org/forums/engine-management/95304-p06-run-d16y8-2.html#post1323831

the #4 rod broke in half, poked holes in the front and back of the block and made a big black mark outside my house... its been over a year and you can still faintly see the black mark, i still have the piston if you want to see a pic :')

sloopy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts