Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Civic Si (Canada)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything started when I did replace my thermostat. My old thermostat rubber seal was bad so It was taking too long before it get warm. So after I replace themostat with a Honda one and notice it was overheating like 100 deg, (use to be around 80-85, Honda thermostat are rated at 78 deg) I went and replace it again thinking it might be defect. Still overheating a bit. I replace my radiator. After I replace my water pump. Something strange about the pump, under the properler the casing is worn like if some steel particule were in the coolant. Even the pipe behind the water pump is slightely worn. That's the only thing that seem to be the problem for me. Is there any way to replace that pipe where the water pump sit on? Oh and I did flush my coolant system when I replace my radiator and I let the radiator cap open to bleed the air out of the system. My temperature rise to about 100 deg if I pass a car but if I turn the heat on it will go down after. I am gona run compression test tomorrow to see if my head gasket is leaking but I don't think so. There is no leak of coolant and the overflow is working good and I did try 2 radiator cap as well. No withe smoke and anything abnormal.

Please help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I may be wrong here but 100 degrees is not over heating. Most cars run any where from 160 to 210 degrees. you said you flushed the coolant. What did you actually flush. You said that the seal went bad. You might have pieces of that seal stuck in the passage ways in the block or head. Have you also check to see if your cooling fans are coming on. Just throwing some possibilities out there. hope you figure it out.

·
Banned
civic
139 Posts
^^ this guy is right ur def not overheating normale operating temp is about 150-170 on our cars also depending on where u live and how hot ur weather is but i def would not sweat it

·
Registered
Civic Si (Canada)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I mean celcius. The thermostat is rated at 78 deg and I run close to 100 deg. Creepingcharlie u said something about my seal!!! Where should I look to see if the passage is obstructed? Behind the water pump it look like if sombody has sandblast it on one side of the pipe.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
The Canada location should have been a clue that it was deg C. The USA is the only place that still uses deg F. The other BIG HINT was the thermostat being rated at 78 deg and previous normal running temperature of 85 deg.

100 deg C (212 deg F) is a bit on the hot side.

If you have corrosion, you might not be using the correct coolant.

The ethylene glycol based coolants also contain corrosion inhibitors and must be used and must be replaced from time to time. Also you need a coolant with the correct inhibitors for the grade of aluminium used. Japanese cars tend to use different alloys and need Japanese car rated coolant.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
There are quite a few reasons why an engine might run a bit hotter than normal.

What have you changed just before it started running hotter.

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
well; new radiatior,new water pump,new thermostat.That elimnates all that.are you using a manual temp guage or the stock one.I have read where peoples stock guages went on them and after buing all new cooling system a cheap guage was the fix.Just a suggestion.A cooling system pressur test and a crompession test will help too.As for finding parts in cooling pasages i dont think it would be you prime suspect here but then again you may never know untill you have diagnosed the whole system.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Canada location should have been a clue that it was deg C. The USA is the only place that still uses deg F. The other BIG HINT was the thermostat being rated at 78 deg and previous normal running temperature of 85 deg.

100 deg C (212 deg F) is a bit on the hot side.

If you have corrosion, you might not be using the correct coolant.

The ethylene glycol based coolants also contain corrosion inhibitors and must be used and must be replaced from time to time. Also you need a coolant with the correct inhibitors for the grade of aluminium used. Japanese cars tend to use different alloys and need Japanese car rated coolant.
yeah us Americans are just ass backwards. :joint::uh: running at 212 deg f is a little hot. really digging your avatar patprimmer. FLATTSRULE V-DRIVEKICKASS :bigok:

Sorry I mean celcius. The thermostat is rated at 78 deg and I run close to 100 deg. Creepingcharlie u said something about my seal!!! Where should I look to see if the passage is obstructed? Behind the water pump it look like if sombody has sandblast it on one side of the pipe.
Well by back flushing the block is about the only way to see if any part of the seal comes out. With out tearing it all apart again there is no way to see any blockage. As racer76j said its not to often this would happen in a automotive app and yes check your gauge for accuracy.

·
Registered
Civic Si (Canada)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Compression test is about 190-195 psi in all cylinders. I did a new flush and put new coolant recommanded by Honda. Yes I use a aftermarket gauge as well but my oil pressure is going down a bit when it's overheating. I beleive that my gauge is accurate.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Do both top and bottom hoses feel real hot

Is the thermo fan turning on at the correct temp.

You could not possibly have mixed up water temp gauge and thermo fan switch wires.

The fan could not be going the wrong way and pushing air against natural airflow.

Have you checked timing.

Is the thermostat bypass and the cabin heater hoses on the correct way so that hot water flows to the thermostat with the thermostat closed. This is required so the thermostat sees hot water on the waterpump side and opens as the engine heats up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts