Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a 1998 hb 1.6 dy7 na only mods are full headers and exhaust and cai car has 150,000 miles and just started to over heat did a complete flush of cooling system checked thermostat and temp sensor both are new also bought new rad cap. cooling fan does work hard wired it to batt just to make sure. problem is there are no leaking hoses everything from radiator is blowing into overflow bottle and boiling it out. also the temp only rise when sitting and a little after i start moving temp goes down i know air through rad is cooling temp lil more but the thing that gets me is the heat inside car changes from hot to cold when driving and only cold when sitting. i have searched the site but have found nothing like this. could it be the head gasket leaking gasses into cooling system ? checked oil and no mixing of coolant and oil and no big puffs of white smoke . could water pump not be cycling coolant enough ? also when i start car after sitting for over an hour the car starts fine then a min later its sputters acts like its gonna stall out the for maybe a min the runs perfectly fine no cel did fuel injector cleaner and sea foam. sorry for the long story but im stumped please help.

·
Registered
civic
62 Posts
My y7 did the same thing except for the heating up thing unless I didn't put water in it. Then I changed my rocker and cam into a y8 head that I knew was good and also changed the head gasket and now its fine. So it could either be the head gasket or the head cracked or warped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i check it after every drive and always fill it up and bleed the system live in pittsburgh pa so no shortage of hills

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
It's the head gasket. Trust me on this one. When you replace it use an OEM MLS Gasket and get the head milled for straightness. Also get some new dowel pins. Don't question it any longer, just do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice finally was able to replace head gasket over weekend used the factory head gasket straight from honda have searched site and seen that it was recommended and also replaced head bolts with honda factory bolts also. So no more overheating and no blowing coolant. Still a bit of a sputter when hitting gas noticed some deep burn marks on dist. cap going to replace that next. Thank you guys and gals for your knowledge and thank you for this site.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts