Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I am running into an overheating problem while standing still. The temp gauge will go up to 3/4 mark and the radiator fan will not turn on. I can turn the A/C on or heat at max and the temp starts dropping.

First I had to fix the temp gauge as that wasn't reading correctly. It is now reading correctly. Both fans turn on with the A/C. The radiator fan turns on when jumped at the connector. Upper and lower radiator hose gets hot. Coolant reservoir is filled to max.

I have replaced:
1. temp gauge sender (gauge wasn't reading right)
2. thermostat (thinking this was the gauge issue)
3. Radiator fan (it was seized)
4. Cooling fan fuse (under hood, I think the seized fan blew it)
5. Coolant/radiator fan switch (twice thinking I got a dud)

Is there anything else I should look into?

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
363 Posts
The fan itself works, then.
Next, when it's hot enough for you to believe it should be running, check for volts at the fan end of the cable. If you're seeing power, the fan is getting the supply it needs. That would make me scratch my head.
I'd guess that it's not getting the message to switch on and either the sender isn't working or there's a break in the wiring.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
And what was the ACTUAL temperature of the boiling water? The switch is designed to close at a set temperature, and as they age, the increase of resistance causes the switch to close at higher temperatures

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
489 Posts
Make sure your cooling system is full and bled out properly also.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Wiring is not fun : (

You have my sympathy and subscription, I think this will work out you've got good advice on your side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts