Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i built 5-6 months ago a D14 w/ Z6 head on EK 99 runing with T25 turbo, everything was good until thermostat was KO, then customer didnt notice it and overheat a bit. i removed it and was runing for some days with any problem but when engine build boost , engine overheat, pretty sure head gasket is damaged but my question is, it's needed to put ARP studs? engine is runing 11 psi and conservative tuning, spark plugs looks very good and engine runs really smooth just only for this problem. i builded another turbo kits but with bigger goals then i always use ARP studs, this build is stock and ive heard stock head bolts could handle up to +300hp or so then i didnt see head studs needed.

anyone runing with a similar setup with stock head bolts?

·
Registered
402 Posts
My stock motor began to overheat only after boosting for 10 minutes straight.
It daily'd fine. It ran fine in 100 degree weather.
But under hard driving it would overheat.
Stock head bolts
I pulled the head and had it resurfaced
Installed arp head studs.
And a new OEM head gasket
It's been fine boosting so far, it's only been a few hundred miles though.

My guess is there is a tiny hole in the head gasket.
I had what looked like some coolant build up near the sleeves
You can see the build up in the crappy first picture.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^^ didly dane how much boost were you pushing when it popped the headgasket and what motor??

·
Registered
567 Posts
i would always recommend doing head studs on anything with boost, even a bone stock engine. same goes for a new oem gasket. since there is also an over heating problem at this point, i wouldn't put it back together without getting at least the head planed for a fresh seal

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was pushing 9lbs on a d16z6
And like k-what said, OEM head gasket and ARP's are definitely recommended.
I tried to do it with out the headstuds and look what happened.

I made 187hp before I did the head.
Stock map stock fuel pump.
Stock z6

·
Registered
731 Posts
stock map as in you didnt make any timing adjustments at all?????? Oh do you mean stock map sensor????

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stock map yes, well, i will remove head this week and i will check everything, thanks for info.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was pushing 9lbs on a d16z6
And like k-what said, OEM head gasket and ARP's are definitely recommended.
I tried to do it with out the headstuds and look what happened.

I made 187hp before I did the head.
Stock map stock fuel pump.
Stock z6
Just to make sure was that 187 WHP..Or at the crank. How does your D pull.. I am really curious. I have never driven a Boosted D...I heard however when boosted nicely they are pretty mean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm using OEM head gasket and ARP head studs on my boosted D16Y8 ([email protected]). I had pretty bad experiences with Cometic head gaskets on D-Series. About overheating, I had the same problem at the beginning. Everything I did was change the old head gasket (Cometic), put new thermostat and BC Racing Spec fan switch. Problem solved!

·
Registered
567 Posts
yeah i will never buy a cometic gasket again. i had bad luck with them on an ls a few years ago. oem only for built motors. i'll run felpro gaskets on non-boosted setups

1 - 17 of 17 Posts