Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read Exospeed's post on sleeving and boring. Very interesting, I might add. Soon I will be sleeving my A6 and was actually thinking of doing an overbore while I was at it. However, in his post he mentioned that it is not really worth doing an overbore when you're running boost. The way I'm seeing is that in doing so, you are also helping your turbo to spool that much quicker. The A6 people can't count on a turbo to spool very quickly with only 108hp under our belts...even if it is only a T3. Though, it would cost more money to overbore and might be more difficult to find pistons/rings, would it aid very much in our quests for a quicker spool and kickin' a z6's arse? J/k, but you get the picture.
Should we just aim for higher compression as opposed to a bigger bore? Higher flowing IMs, TBs, heads, etc, etc?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Kango said:
would it aid very much in our quests for a quicker spool and kickin' a z6's arse?
i knew the a6 guys would turn agianst the z6 guys...:rl: oh its on...j/k but how much do you plan to bore it? like 78mm? or just .25?

·
Registered
693 Posts
transzex said:
with the 2-3 mm overbore and NA, think about the deshrouding of the valves.
That's what I was gonna say! Not that it's a must, but unshrouding the valves is a good thing and pretty much only the overbored D-blocks can do it since the valves are so close to the edge of the stock bore. It will let more air flow around the valve head into the chamber.

JG overbores all the way to 79mm on sleeved D16's. That's like 1766cc displacement! Might as well go all the way, it costs the same.

At any rate, do you need to go turbo to beat a Z6? My friend has a 89 or 90 Civic Si with bolt-on goodies and decent tires, he ran a 15.2...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BseriesKllR said:
how much do you plan to bore it? like 78mm? or just .25?
If I was going to bore it out, I would just go with as big of a bore as I could for a high boost application while staying in the safe zone. If I can go 78mm, I'd imagine that would be sufficient, heh.

klungemonger said:
At any rate, do you need to go turbo to beat a Z6? My friend has a 89 or 90 Civic Si with bolt-on goodies and decent tires, he ran a 15.2...
No, it wouldn't be necessary...but the z6 does have the upperhand on us peddy little a6 underdogs by having that extra "umph" to spool a turbo. I know it's not the bottom line....but it was just a joke anyway. Errmm...just forget what I said all together, lol.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
klungemonger said:
That's what I was gonna say! Not that it's a must, but unshrouding the valves is a good thing and pretty much only the overbored D-blocks can do it since the valves are so close to the edge of the stock bore. It will let more air flow around the valve head into the chamber.
Would you need to get the combustion chamber reworked to really take advantage of this?

·
Registered
693 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Would you need to get the combustion chamber reworked to really take advantage of this?
I don't know, but I'm thinking not really. Just hvae to make sure you don't take off to much material or the opening will end up in the gasket instead of going right into the cylinder...:???:

·
Registered
936 Posts
deshrouding valves is a chamber work consisting of grinding away the edges that surrounds the valves so as to let the air flow more freelly into the cylinder. usually done with overbored sleeves do to the fact that if done with stock sleeves the deshrouding of the valves would leave a piece of head gasket to the unyielding forces of combustion.

any chamber would benifit for any application especially the deshrouding of valves and custom/ramanned valve seats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts