Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car seems to be over heating when going over a mountain (my daily drive to and from work).

I am using pre-diluded 50/50 mix WITH water wetter.

In the morning I see temps of 206* and in the afternoon they get up to 216-220* (I usually pull over to let it cool when it gets close to 212-216*).

My setup is:
D15B w/ z6 head 75.5mm vitaras and FJT I-Beams 272 delta cam
Precision 57trim turbo
Spoolin ramhorn manifold
Blox dual core radiator, ebay 10" slim fan
Gates water pump

(Your basic build..)

I took out the thermostat last night to run it, and it still got up to 204*...

When I'm going downhill afterwards, and let off the gas, I get as cool as 175*..

I'm super confused... Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Fans coming on, is the coolant flowing? My car was overheating for a while, changed the thermostat, the radiator, the fan. Turned out my system was clogged, I am glad I have new parts but still. The hose at the bottom of my radiator was gnarly, the kid before me used water only.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fan is coming on. I have it set @ 188* below 75mph.

It's for sure flowing. When I filled the system, I used the bleeder bolt to push out air bubbles

·
Pew Pew!
3,509 Posts
Why use a stock fan? Get yourself a bigger fan that can pull more cfm. Or try making a shroud for the fan.

One issue after another....Tisk.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
How come you didnt use a 12inch fan?
Also put the tstat back in. I had a small over heating problem and it was due to the tstat beong missing. The coolant always stayed hot because it was always moving.
Also less air up there maybe you have a coolant leak? Pressure changes could cause problems in the tune and cooling.

Check for leaks. Also if your like Tx its been in the 100f the pass few days so.everything is hot amd over work.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How come you didnt use a 12inch fan?
Also put the tstat back in. I had a small over heating problem and it was due to the tstat beong missing. The coolant always stayed hot because it was always moving.
Also less air up there maybe you have a coolant leak? Pressure changes could cause problems in the tune and cooling.

Check for leaks. Also if your like Tx its been in the 100f the pass few days so.everything is hot amd over work.
Went with 10" cause it was damn near free lol.

I JUST replaced 2 hoses that had pinholes in them this past week.

I'm going to flush the system this weekend and see if that helps.

Worse case scenario I'm hoping its not head lift (or a head gasket issue). But I have a backup HG just in case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can check your oil for frothing that would indicate HG. Also is there any white smoke comming out when you drive.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No smoke. No frothy oil. No milky coolant.

Today I'm going to purchase that coolant tester stuff (to test Exhaust gasses in the coolant)

This issue has been boggling me for a while now. So I've been doing repairs and such to try to.fix it.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
use the stock fan. they flow like a mother fucker

way more than 95% of slim fans unless u drop huge loot on a very high quality slim fan.

and make sure ur fully topped up

and if it starts to overheat real good but u cant stop turn the heater core on full blast

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
using the heat definitly works. Last weekend Before I figured out my rad fan switch had gone bad my car started overheating. I knew the fan hadn't been workking for some time but I hadn't been hot enough recently and I hadn't been driving in traffic enough to worry about it. But there was a wreck on the highway I was on and there wasnt an exit for another 2 miles. Stop stop stop and go stop stop stop traffic, so of course my temp gauge starts to move so I'm like, sorry baby, gotta make sure the car doesn't blow up lulz. Roll down the windows point the vents away from you and had the heater full blast till we got off. Needle went back down and didn't overheat. 103* that day IIRC.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You said only when you're going over the mountain - is it overheating only under load? I think that flushing your system should work, if you didn't have any issues previously.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup. Only over the hill will it over heat.

Normal driving on flats its fine. Going downhill it gets as cool as 175*.

And I'm not even gunning it over the hill or anything.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nope. No extra coolant in the over flow. Could it be the radiator cap not doing its job?
What BAR/PSI rating is your radiator cap? Doubt that's it - if you never had issues before something new has entered into the equation. Hopefully it's something stupid like some crud in your hoses.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts