Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive had my car for around 3 years or so now...
as most of you know its a 94 del sol with a Z6
every winter it over cools..the needle never goes abouve the first line unless it sits still.
ive had 1 other person that had the exact del sol as me (but in auto) have the same issues.
he tried swapping out the thermo 3 times and it never made any change...it always over cooled...should i put a box over part of the radiator or something?

does any one else have this prob with there z6 or D16 of any kind at all?

i was also told by ppl in a shop that del sols are known for that?!? (news to me) and if del sols are known for that..then why arnt the other civics of that gen known for that or are they (same motor then why not?!?) ?

thanks for any help you guys can bring me..

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Well I live in MN and the winters up here get REALLY cold and my CRX has never had that type of problem. I know its a different car but it has the same engine in it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Del Sols run a thicker radiator than EGs (92-95 Civics). Try blocking 1/3 - 1/2 of your radiator with cardboard or something to see if that helps. My civic gets up to normal temp when cruising in the city, but if I get on the hwy, the temp drops.

·
Registered
721 Posts
slap a high temperature thermostat in it, 192 degrees I think the highest is...and if that doesn't just block part of the rad with some wax cardboard...wax so that it doesn't get all wet and mushy :D

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
wax cardboard.. water proof . prolly can get it at your local grocery store. *meat or deli department. its so the box doesnt get soggy and fall all apart

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tell you the truth ive never cracked it open to look at the thermo..i know in the summer its allways right on and i never have the issue...its only cold days like below 40 i would say that i start to have this issue.

and no the fan is working properly but the thermo i have no idea...never changed it since i baught it.

when i first got the car there was a radiator leak and i replaced it with some pepboys radiator or something....maybe thats it lol...

its way to friggen cold to work on it now..so it looks like waxcardboard is my solution (great idea by the way...no one wants mushy cardboard)

perhaps ill try putting a new thero in the summer. or parhaps it is the radiator i baught.. hmm
thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh and as for the water in my antifreeze...i believe it was a 50 50 mix ...but later i just added more coolant...so its like more AF than water right now...unless i added "peak" fluid..it was quite a while back so i forgot.

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
^they actually say that it's because it decreases wind resistence or something. for aerodynamics.
By blocking air flow through the radiator, you're reducing the amount of turbulent air that goes under the car. When a added a block-off plate where the condesor had been in my EJ1, i gained 6mpg hwy.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Buy those covers used on big rigs, with the zipper. Also a higher-temp thermostat will help(try getting like 180-190degres or something)

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
tell you the truth ive never cracked it open to look at the thermo..i know in the summer its allways right on and i never have the issue...its only cold days like below 40 i would say that i start to have this issue.

and no the fan is working properly but the thermo i have no idea...never changed it since i baught it.

when i first got the car there was a radiator leak and i replaced it with some pepboys radiator or something....maybe thats it lol...

its way to friggen cold to work on it now..so it looks like waxcardboard is my solution (great idea by the way...no one wants mushy cardboard)

perhaps ill try putting a new thero in the summer. or parhaps it is the radiator i baught.. hmm
thanks for the input guys
A brand new radiator is going to increase the cooling ability. Plus it's cold outside. My other car doesn't reach op temp when it's cold and I had the heater on. Does it get to at least the first white line? So your not in cold start mode. If your heater is hot and it get's to the white line it's not even a problem.

Are you running premium gas or a synthic oil, running rich,
Would ign. timing change the temp?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im running 87 gas i think...the low grade.
and i believe it hits the first white line but thats it.. and like i said while sitting still it moves up pretty fast..the heat gets a decent temp but some times its not enough for me.. (always being cold and all)

ill check when i drive today i have like a 60 mile drive to do today so ill post when i get back from it.
thanks again guys

·
Registered
A honda!
352 Posts
My car kinda does this right now and i am going to swap out the thermostat
Takes a while to get warm and when it starts to If I accerate it cools off....

·
Registered
49 Posts
this must be a common problem with civics.

I live in Ontario Canada and its about -5 degrees C right now. I let my car run for a good 3-5 minutes in the morning and the temp guage never moves when im warming it up. It will only reach opperating temperature after driving the car for a good 5-10 minutes.

New rad and thermostat last month. Only thing was i went with an aftermarket thermsostat, guess i shoud have went with a genuine Honda t.stat.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Im in NH have the same issue I let the car idle to warm up and when I drive it im freezing my ass off the heater blows cool.

I make a radiator blockoffplate. I then cut a 4-5 inch radius hole in a pice of cardboard and stick it infront of the radiator. gives it enough cooling on the higway not to over heat and block it off enough at slow speeds to keep car warm.

bottom line. winter suck some serius 8====D~~~

1 - 20 of 35 Posts