Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okm im in a pickle, my buddy works at a batteries plus store and hes trying to get me to buy a red top or yellow top optima, I think they are nice batteries but they are heavy and expensive, now I wanted to originally get a hawker odessey lightweight one, but he said they have no cold cranking amps like the 680mj for example has 680 cranking amps but cold cranking amps is like 275!!! I cant use that in winter!! what the hell, should I just bite the bullet and give aredtop optima?? I mean they do look hella nice! what do u guys think??

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
too bad they dont make a lighter one....33 lbs ouch!! I would rather have an 11 lb battery yanno?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Ya they are heavy! But there non Spillable, w/ good ass warranty.. Red top=Starting power w/ minor stereo,Yellow = Big stereo .. We sell them I just tell people to get Red top because there about 90 bucks and if you have a big ass stereo just get a Farad cap to make up for it...

A

·
0 Posts
i think the weight advantage of the hawker is outweighed (pun intended) by the reliability, cranking power, and indestructability of the optima.

in other words, that extra weight of the optima is penance to pay for the advantages of having it.

i have the yellow top, and its assuring to know that battery will never crap out on me. honestly, if you want the best, go optima.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i had a yellow top in my rex, the alternator started goin bad and for some reason the battery didnt like it, the battery had bubbled on the sides, started smoking its ass off, and then it fried alot of my wiring... thanks optima, your the best

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
well, anytime you have a short from power directly to ground... things are going to melt or even burn.

A

·
0 Posts
driveahonda said:
i had a yellow top in my rex, the alternator started goin bad and for some reason the battery didnt like it, the battery had bubbled on the sides, started smoking its ass off, and then it fried alot of my wiring... thanks optima, your the best
that sucks, but i doubt that had anything to do with the battery. doesn't matter which battery you would have had in there, whichever one you would have had would have bubbled up.

as makku said, you probably shorted it.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
I had a yellow top and ended up replacing it with a Bosch silvertop sealed unit......cheaper, lighter and more cranking amps.

A

·
0 Posts
flatfourfan said:
I had a yellow top and ended up replacing it with a Bosch silvertop sealed unit......cheaper, lighter and more cranking amps.
man, WHAT is up with your avatar??

i don't know whether to laugh or be scared... ;-)

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
LMAO.........I can't believe that someone has only asked me about this now. I was on some or other site over the weekend and this dude posted a pic of himself with a webcam while he was driving, I thought it would make for a great avatar.........

I say laugh..lol.

A

·
0 Posts
flatfourfan said:
LMAO.........I can't believe that someone has only asked me about this now. I was on some or other site over the weekend and this dude posted a pic of himself with a webcam while he was driving, I thought it would make for a great avatar.........

I say laugh..lol.
LoL... cool.... i wanted to laugh but i didnt know if it was you or something (still would have lauged, but would have lauged privately) ;)

funny pic man... i can't tell if he is sticking his tongue out or just has a really BIG lip... lol

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
MyblkVTEC said:
Okm im in a pickle, my buddy works at a batteries plus store and hes trying to get me to buy a red top or yellow top optima, I think they are nice batteries but they are heavy and expensive, now I wanted to originally get a hawker odessey lightweight one, but he said they have no cold cranking amps like the 680mj for example has 680 cranking amps but cold cranking amps is like 275!!! I cant use that in winter!! what the hell, should I just bite the bullet and give aredtop optima?? I mean they do look hella nice! what do u guys think??
honestly your car only needs some 200 cranking amps, hell the stock battery i have only has 200 cold cranking. BUT the optima batteries are THE best you can get...

drivahonda - with all due respect, you had a short and the battery rapidly exchanged electrons from the positive side to the negative side through the chasis (or other means) and your lucky the damn thing didn't explode.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a yellow top and i really like it. It acts more like a capacitor than a battery because of its design... In other words it is able to handle a large electrical load without discharging.... only bad side is because of its design, it loses voltage faster in the cold weather. I need to start my car at least once a week in the winter or it WILL die. I live in Pa... it sucks...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts