Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with Optilux fogs? They are the "discount" brand of Hella lamps, but they still meet the same standards. Ive heard they are pretty decent for the right price. Im lookin at the Optilux 2020's with both fog and driving beams. We get some SERIOUSLY bad fog in Fresno, and I make the 4 hour drive home at night every now and then and I could use a little more light.

http://www.autobarn.net/heop20dufoli.html - Linky!!

Let me know!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
:hijacked: sorry, but do you know how they would wire into a civic that doesn't originally have them? Is there a stock switch you can get? I've actually never seen a switch for them before. I do see where the lights would mount but is there supposed to be a stock harness there for them?

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
Deck said:
Anyone have experience with Optilux fogs? They are the "discount" brand of Hella lamps, but they still meet the same standards. Ive heard they are pretty decent for the right price. Im lookin at the Optilux 2020's with both fog and driving beams. We get some SERIOUSLY bad fog in Fresno, and I make the 4 hour drive home at night every now and then and I could use a little more light.

http://www.autobarn.net/heop20dufoli.html - Linky!!

Let me know!
It may be out of your price range deck but if you want some SERIOUS fog lights and it sounds like you need some good ones, PIAAs are the way to go man. I have PIAA lamps and bulbs on my EG and I will NEVER buy anything else as long as I drive a car.

I have had my set of 1100 series lamps for over 8 years at least and to show how durable they are, here are some quick facts on the units I have on my EG right now:

-I haven't had to replace the lamps since i purchased them
-they've seen several canadian winter wraths
-they're so old they no longer make the original 1100 Ion Crystal units which I bought back in the day. You can only get the 1100X Super Whites now
-the wiring harness on mine is orignal, in mint condition and i've never had to replace it until...
-when the original relay finally went on it this winter and I had to buy a new one which was smaller and a better design, thus rendering my exisiting harness obsolete and required a new set.
-I replaced the bulbs for the first time last winter since i bought the lamp set over 8 years ago

PIAA's warranty is the best in the business and unmatched by any other light manufacturer...90 days unlimited and lifetime limited.

These would be your best bet to buy: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/1400.html

Here's a quick pic of the lamps themselves:

The one on the left would be best for your weather situation and I am considering going to them as well as the lamps I have now are what PIAA calls a DRIVING LAMP SYSTEM and more for clear dark conditions where lighting distance is required. they still do well in fog but they dont have the spread pattern of actual FOG-specific lamp systems.

No, I dont work for piaa. im just an avid piaa user who knows the quality of their product and i wouldn't make such claims if i didnt use them myself. anyone on here who knows me knows im piaa 100%. theres a reason ive always had piaa decals on my EG for the longest time. when it comes to buying light bulbs or lamp systems, this is one of those areas where

makku said:
:hijacked: sorry, but do you know how they would wire into a civic that doesn't originally have them? Is there a stock switch you can get? I've actually never seen a switch for them before. I do see where the lights would mount but is there supposed to be a stock harness there for them?
you can buy factory switches from the dealership or in the OEM fog light replacement kits. Here is a link to the genuine OEM Honda EG fog lamps on InlineFour: http://www.inlinefour.com/jdmegfogkit.html

most of these and the knock-off kits come with the oem switch already and a wiring harness to attach it. if not, pick up a nice set of the jdm eg6 amber fog switches from ebay and make sure they come with the wiring harness plug and wires. when i bought my jdm fog switch it came with the plug and wires still in it because they will cut the switches out at the junk yard and leave a length of wire attached to the harness plug.

i wired my piaa lamps into the JDM fog light switch i bought off ebay for that clean stock look so if you get a factory switch, let me know and next time im at my garage working on the EG so i can pull my switch out and take pics to show you how i wired my piaas into it. i could try and explain it on here right now but i'd butcher the explanation and it would be better if i knkew what kind of switch you were dealing with. also, id rather use pics of mine as a reference so just let me know (or anyone else is free to reply if you have info right now) if you need help

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
i had a set of the Optilux driving lamps. gave them away and i hate that i did, but my bumper has too small openings for them to fit. the buddy i gave them too loves em.
when i first got my car it had PIAAs on it had to take them off kept going through bulbs, but an awesome quality product.
i feel ya on the fog, i cant even see across the street sometimes, i hate not being able to drive fast!:beer:

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually looking at the PIAA 1400 set, but they are a little steep in price for me. THe best I saw them for was $155. THe Optilux 2020 are around $50, and you get fog AND driving beam patterns. I can always buy some PIAA H3's and slap them in the Optilux housing...I think!!

Good recommendation tho!

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
Deck said:
I was actually looking at the PIAA 1400 set, but they are a little steep in price for me. THe best I saw them for was $155. THe Optilux 2020 are around $50, and you get fog AND driving beam patterns. I can always buy some PIAA H3's and slap them in the Optilux housing...I think!!

Good recommendation tho!
Ya the PIAAs are a bit more money and the 1400s or 1100Xs are only one beam pattern. You can get dual-beam PIAAs but they are alot more.
Actually, if you buy the Optilux lamps and put PIAA bulbs in them, you'll run around the same price as the 1400 system because PIAA light bulbs themselves run for a few ducats themselves.

Actually, PIAAs real HID fog lamp systems (http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamps-HID.html, they come with real ballasts and everything) run in the $3000 neighborhood last time I checked my dealer price list. If I had money to throw away I would have picked up the 2100XT HID system for my Civic in stead. People think I'm nuts and give me props now for having such an expensive halogen system so imagine the bragging rights you'd inherit by having a HID fog lamp system worth three GRAND:shocked:

I got my 1100 system way back in the day at Xmas time when they were on sale. The shop where I got them from is in London and they picked up a whole bunch of them for dirt cheap and they were on sale for $199CDN plus taxes which came to some change under $229CDN cash. That was a steal at the time when they normally went for $270+.

I might go up to the 1400s but i like where my 1100s are positioned on my EG and they fit perfectly with no mods or brackets to fab up. I attached a few pics below of my PIAAs to check out if ya want

Attachments

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
got any pictures of what they look like turned off... just installed in the bumper?

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
makku said:
got any pictures of what they look like turned off... just installed in the bumper?
i'll check. if not i'll get you some pics if i go to my garage this weekend to work on the car.

**EDIT** Here are some. Not the best but they give you an idea until i can get pics from the garage. I have a Grillcraft black front grill installed so it hides them nicely now. The last one is the pic with the grill on and they just barely peek out thru it :TU:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
very cool.... thanks for the pics

am i wrong in thinking that on a stock (untouched) bumper, there is a slot for stock foglights approximately where you put yours? I'm assuming you cut that grill network part out of your bumper.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see if I want a completely stock look w/ OK fog lights or if what you did would be better.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
makku said:
very cool.... thanks for the pics

am i wrong in thinking that on a stock (untouched) bumper, there is a slot for stock foglights approximately where you put yours? I'm assuming you cut that grill network part out of your bumper.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see if I want a completely stock look w/ OK fog lights or if what you did would be better.
hey not a problem man im more than happy to help with anything i can, dont be afraid to ask :TU:

the stock EG front bumper has openings to the left and right of the center opening for the OEM fog lights to mount into. they need to be completely cut out in order to mount an OEM or OEM-style kit. To mount them where I have mine, you will need to cut out a section of the plastic grill work in middle opening to allow them to fit.

In my best effort to explain this without pics, if look up in where the center oepning is where you see my lamps mounted, there is a hole or opening in the front bumper support. How I mounted mine was like this:

The old lamp system set I had was a cheapy unit from Canadian Tire (auto/home hardware chain store up here) but it came with this awesome mounting bracket that looked like a flat 2"x4" plate with a bolt welded to it by the bolt head to form a T-shape. You can make your own mounting plate by drilling a hole into a piece of flat thin steel or aluminum (thick enough though that the bolt won't pull through or bend the plate).

Next, put the plate inside the bumper support and ran the bolt donw through the hole so it was pointing at the ground and the plate was being held in place on top The bolt fits through the hole in the bumper support and the plate acts like a mounting bracket. Then I just mounted the lamps to the bolt and tightened it up with a nut and aimed them.

I know it's not the most technical explanation and I will get pics for you if you plan to mount some lights there. Basically when you see the holes I'm talking about you'll understand how the bolt and plate idea will work. The important thing is there are holes there already so you can fab up your own brackets to mount lights there in any fashion you wish.

P.S. I hid mine behind a black grill for a cleaner look and more protection for the lights. I like the look of the OEM lights in the bumper but you will never get the light output from a set of them, even if you buy the $350USD Genuine OEM Honda ones. Ask anyone who has seen my 1100s at night ;)

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Those a f'in bright!!

J

·
0 Posts
Steve-O, are the older ones that you have on your car a different shape than the newer ones? Yours look round, and the other ones...........arent. :) Those small round ones look great, because I'd like to mount a set behind the stock bumper insert in my 98 EX, (no cutouts in bumper for fogs besides the front insert), and not sure I wouldnt get any interference with the inserts using those rectangular ones. Look incredibly bright tho, would love to pick up a pair of the whites to compliment my highbeams when driving the backroads to my g/fs house :)

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
jlacoy82 said:
Steve-O, are the older ones that you have on your car a different shape than the newer ones? Yours look round, and the other ones...........arent. :) Those small round ones look great, because I'd like to mount a set behind the stock bumper insert in my 98 EX, (no cutouts in bumper for fogs besides the front insert), and not sure I wouldnt get any interference with the inserts using those rectangular ones. Look incredibly bright tho, would love to pick up a pair of the whites to compliment my highbeams when driving the backroads to my g/fs house :)
The lamp system I have is the old style of the current one pictured below:

PIAA 1100X Super White Driving

The only difference between those above and mine is that the 1100X units have a brushed aluminum rear housing and the trim ring which holds the bulb in is chromed and has the PIAA logo.

Mine were the old 1100 Ion Crystal Series (no longer available) that came with the Ion Crystal bulbs. Ion Crystal is PIAAs terminology for the lens coating which would chamge the white light to a bright yellow colour with no loss in light output. The 1400 series currently comes in either the 1400 Ion Crystal or the 1400X Super White.

Since the 1100s I have and the 1100X are the same system just different colours and housing materials, when I had to replace my Ion Crystal bulbs I just bought a set of the 1100X Super White bulbs since they dont make the IC anymore. I like using my 1100 lamp housings better because the black blends in nicely and what you see in the pics is just the actual lens itself showing.

The nice thing about the 1100 and 1400 series lamps (in addition to other PIAA systsms as well) is the bulb, lens and reflector are one sealed unit and reaplced as one unit. No need to change bulbs or glass lenses. As well, the reflector is what PIAA calls Dichroic, this meaning the reflector is designed so that even though the actual light bulb inside is rated at 55W the reflector surface gives it increased output equivalent to that of an 85W with no increase in power usage or heat.

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah, the 1100x is exactly what I want. If it wasnt 5 degrees out right now I'd go out and measure the spaces in my front bumper insert, but at least now I know I can find a quality fog/driving lamp for a decent price that is roughly 3x3". I want to just have the functionality of the light but w/o hanging it off my bumper like I was mounting it HELLA style on the roof of a truck. :)

And with the fog/driving lamp setup, is that something you can control from an OEM fog switch, or is it a setting thats controlled from the relays/circuit under the hood? Thx for the info Steve-O. :)

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
jlacoy82 said:
Yeah, the 1100x is exactly what I want. If it wasnt 5 degrees out right now I'd go out and measure the spaces in my front bumper insert, but at least now I know I can find a quality fog/driving lamp for a decent price that is roughly 3x3". I want to just have the functionality of the light but w/o hanging it off my bumper like I was mounting it HELLA style on the roof of a truck. :)

And with the fog/driving lamp setup, is that something you can control from an OEM fog switch, or is it a setting thats controlled from the relays/circuit under the hood? Thx for the info Steve-O. :)
The lights can be mounted any way you want. On the bumper, in side ther bumper, i the cneter opening, howeverr you like. PIAA supplies moutning braket and bolts to mount in variety of positions.

The OEM switch can be hooked into the PIAA lamp switch. It requires cuting the original PIAA switch off and wiring it up to the OEM Honda fog hanress. I did it to mine and it works like a charm. When I'm at the garage next I can get pics of it so you can see how I did it.

I stay and talk some more man but my mechanic buddy from the bicycle shop just called and he's comin to get me at 9 so I have to run. Tonight is our weekly Wed night mountain biker social at Mike's Place Resuatrant.

I'll tal to ya more bout it tomorrow man :TU:

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I've done alot of 12v electrical work, (alarms, stereos, just plain rewiring stuff :) ) so there isnt a whole ton I cant figure out w/ a multimeter in hand. So dont do it for my sake, I know you mentioned it for other people in the thread, and would be a good how-to. "FAQ: OEM Fog Switch to aftermarket fogs." :)

My idea is to avoid cutting the bumper insert altogether and hope that the diameter of the fog is small enough to squeeze in between a pair of the fins, yet not block any light. I'm trying to do AS LITTLE cutting of my new car as possible, as opposed to some cars in my past. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7941300106&category=33709&sspagename=WDVW

$160 shipped for a quality set of fogs seems very reasonable. My last car had an OK pair of fogs on them and its such a huge difference, even just having a mediocre pair on as opposed to none at all. Thanks for the info.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
jlacoy82 said:
Yeah, I've done alot of 12v electrical work, (alarms, stereos, just plain rewiring stuff :) ) so there isnt a whole ton I cant figure out w/ a multimeter in hand. So dont do it for my sake, I know you mentioned it for other people in the thread, and would be a good how-to. "FAQ: OEM Fog Switch to aftermarket fogs." :)

My idea is to avoid cutting the bumper insert altogether and hope that the diameter of the fog is small enough to squeeze in between a pair of the fins, yet not block any light. I'm trying to do AS LITTLE cutting of my new car as possible, as opposed to some cars in my past. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7941300106&category=33709&sspagename=WDVW

$160 shipped for a quality set of fogs seems very reasonable. My last car had an OK pair of fogs on them and its such a huge difference, even just having a mediocre pair on as opposed to none at all. Thanks for the info.
Glad I could help.

The old set of lights I had were rather large so I just cut out a complete section of the centre plastic grill. The 1100X lamps don't take up much space at all so you'll just have to maybe cut out a very small piece of the grid in the centre piece. If I had to make a mounting recommendation, I would say try your darndest to mount the lights to something solid like the metal bumper support just to be safe. If you ever have to take the bumper off for something you don't have to disconnect them every time.

Another reason is protection. PIAA offers theft-proof moutning locks and even an alarm activation system. Yes its true...check it out: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/ProtectYourInvestment.html

PIAA has this special realy box that you wire up to your lights and when someone takes them off your car and interrupts the signal to the PIAA alarm module (usually by cutting the wires or disconnecting the lamp plugs from the harness) the module is connected to your car alarm and triggers it. When you pay $200+ for a set of fog lamps ($3000 for the HID systems) you don't want someone to walk off with them.

Ya, I might do a DIY write-up but knowing me how I am, I can be VERY long-winded when it comes to explaning things so it would probably be so long no one would want to read it all :p. It's not hard tho and as you said you have wiring skills already it should be a snap for you.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
wasnt this thread on the optilux? i woudl like to no more about those ... since i do not wish to spend 150 bucks obn fogs...

btw i llove those lites stevo.. to much for me tho.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
Sorry for the :hijacked: guys. I get on my PIAA trips and I forget where I am :p.

Carry on.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts