Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a d16a with a z6 head for a pretty reasonable price. It has a dx trans on it. I have no experience with the mini me swaps. I was just going to get a full z6 for a turbo project but found a deal on this. Are there any real power gains when compared to a stock d16a, or d16z6? I will post pics as soon as I can get it to let me.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
looks like you will be needing a few sensors, i see broken ones.

if that D16A is a match for a USDM D16A6, compression with the mini is approx 9.96:1 with a z6 headgasket, and a full z6 is 9.14:1

the mini is definitely a much more responsive setup in regards to no other parts used.

its a good little setup, especially matched with a small turbo for a stock based turbo or supercharger build. decent compresssion, still OEM reliable parts, and even as is, shoudl get you 35-40mpg when driven nice

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes unfortunately a couple were broke. Info on a jdm d16a is tough to find but there's some out there. I figured it was all pretty good for $300. I'll be selling the dx trans to get a z6 trans though. Mild 250-275 hp turbo set up is the goal. I'm going to take off the oil pan and check it out as soon as I get it clean.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
if your goal is 250+, take the time and money and effort to do even a mild build on the motor. while Vitaras are a cheap solution, I find the compression with them SUCKS unless you really knock down the cylinder head, even with vitara'spec'd rods

grab some eagles or something, have a shop balance them (even new parts can be out of whack, and dirty) and do a basic rebuild with an OEM oil pump.

If you for whatever reason decide stock is fine, at the very least, pop the pistons out, open the ring gaps by 2-4 thousandths, and do a quick deglaze/hone on the walls.

Also, that DX transmission will suit you better with turbo power. Obviously wont turn the quarter milea s fast, but it will be FAR more acceptable as a daily driver.

remember, with a turbo making over 200whp, you dont have to rev the piss out of it to do anything anymore.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do plan on getting pistons, rods, rod bolts, but leaving the head stock. Maybe a skunk or y8 intake mani. I have seen on these forums that a lot of people use vitaras. The lower compression on them turns me away. Block knotching has me a little nervous.
Would 10:1 compression and a turbo on that = catastrophic failure? I have also heard that increasing bore to 75.5 is recommended. What does this do to your compression? I don't want to buy all my parts and realize my compression is now too high to boost.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The block notching is easy. I was skeptic when I did my first eagle vitara build, but once I notched one it was nothing to notch the other. My vitara eagle setup with a bullseye turbo ran in the 11's on 18psi with pump gas! Even though it is low compression it is still fun to drive.

I always'ed up the bore and give the pistons to machine shop to get the proper ptw clearance. The setup above was bored .40 over. 76mm piston.

10:1 is not bad at all, but as many will chime in and say it all comes down to the tune. Make sure you have a tuner that is capable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts