Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got my hands on another 89' DX hatch parts car that oddly enough has a power steering rack and pump in it. My question is this: Is it really worth it swapping out my traditional rack with a power steering setup? or better yet: Does it even really make that much of a difference for daily driver?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,451 Posts
Don't bother. Removing the engine and trans to do a rack swap is no fun.

I did a PS rack replacement on a 91 EX sedan and wish I would have pulled the motor and trans....factor in you'll need to swap subframe, steering linkage....nope!

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,917 Posts
Personally i dont like power stearing on these little cars. If i was changing a rack it would be me firing the power rack into the junk pile to put in a manual rack in its place. I have a 90 civic HB "special edition" parts car here that also has power stearing.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
636 Posts
I swapped my PS to manual on my EF, but would've kept it if it was a daily. It's over assisted, but i definitely think it would be worth it for a daily.

I didn't remove my engine or trans and I honestly didn't think it took that long, but my PS system was mostly already removed, i was basically swapping the looped rack for a manual one. Shit points of the swap as mentioned are removing and then realigning the collar that joins the rack to the steering column and also the rear engine mount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts