Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when running open down pipe (96 civic)
where is a good length to run the piping? past the fire wall but by how far?
and will a flex pipe be neede if im running open d.p
some pics would be nice!!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
i was under the assumption that just under the oil pan, maybe a little further is the best place to have the open dp run to. No flex pipe is needed to run open dp either

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
personally, right before the firewall but after the oil pan is a good spot for a turn down.
is a turndow really needed?

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i would honestly suggest running full exhaust, maybe run 3". but if you don't mind putting up with loud sound or possible smell of exhausts, between oil pan and firewall isn't a bad place

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
in all honesty my car is quieter now with open downpipe and open dumptube than it was when i was na with my exhaust all hooked up...
really? that's definitely cool that you didn't have to put up with as much loud ass noise then :). all the ones that were open downpipe were loud as heck, but at the same time they were on stock cars, so it was only comparable to stock exhaust or cat-backs.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'd go with right at or a little after the firewall to keep fumes out of the cabin...A turndown tilted to the side will also help with noise direction

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had the sls mini log kit and ran it open downpipe for a couple months. honestly its fine to do temporarily; but, plan on getting an exhaust eventually. My car is just a weekend/track car too. However, I hate not being able to hear anything else but the resignating(SP?) of the exhaust and smelling like gas. I used to take people for a spin and they would literally have to yell for me to hear "slow down your going to kill me!'

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
if you run full exhaust, performance will be better and turbo will spool faster, just a thought.
Sorry...its the opposite way around...if you run an open dump performance will be better and the turbo will spool faster...

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
5,467 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts