Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
A) Tack weld a washer to the outer bearing shell
B) Notch the outer shell along the oil drain back groove with a cut off death wheel, then use a chisel to fracture the outer shell.
C) Put the balls back in, then space then out and use a normal puller like my snap-on.

D) Try a normal bearing puller and grip the bearing groove just enough and it might slide out. Too much pressure and it will lodge itself in the case.

A) is the only one I haven't tried. But a Hispanic immigrant friend for over 20 year now thought up the washer trick. I didn't have a welder at my disposal.

How they are made.....

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
Also, make sure while the trans is apart you deep clean EVERYTHING in the case, including the main and coutershaft, you'll find you plastic bearing cage parts in there and the oiling ports.

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
Ok, so I might be the Yoda of cleaning my shaft, but thats beside the point!
Rookie :)

I put my shafts in the hot tub and turn the jets on.

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
Aluminum absorbs heat from liquid faster, so the case expands faster than the steel race, timing is important with the submersion method, leave it in too long and it's going to bind after the race gets up to temp.
I started heating the clutch side case and putting the bearings in the freezer for 30 minutes or so before install, they pretty much drop right in.
I really wish I had had the guts to dive into these transmissions 15 years ago, sadly I was chicken, im at 15 now, in under a year, have had a back log waiting for rebuilds or isb's since my last builder dropped off the grid, and im thinking "why the fack didn't I learn this sooner", I could have been making 400 more per trans rebuild with less than 4 hours extra time generally.
Wait, You gonna make me raise my labor prices? (I WFH, no shop front)

My grandson was diagnosed as being Autistic/ADHD which explains the energy outbursts and other issues. Tracking his issues and looking back at mine, it explains a lot. When we talk math, it might as well be Klingon to others.

So yes, I focused on just few items, Honda transmissions.

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
It takes most people three hands to drop the shafts back in, I have no issues most of the time. Get them wedged in there like the last picture and you'll need a hammer to get the shafts/forks out. It gets easier after the 500th time.

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
My diagram has them labeled different. Interlock and shift arm B in your diagram. I need to check my manuals, I know Helms has mislabeled things before.

Having been invited to another podcast I'm looking to start filming some of my tricks/hacks. I'll have my son do the editing/posting to YT :)

· Brokedick Millionaire
56,944 Posts
I flip the arm up to engage the teeth on the ring gear, Counter shaft case bearing needs staked in ASAP!

Your pics are clear, why I ask for Tranny Pron pics. I see things others will never see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts