Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, I've been around cars my whole life but I just got my first honda a few months ago. It's a 94 ex, 5 speed, came with coilovers and a fart can lol but I'm looking to start building. Keeping it n/a for now maybe boost later on. But I have simple question about the ecu and tuning. If I have phearable.net chip my ecu, do i need to buy a hondata system or Neptune or any of the others if I just want to take it a tuner and have them tune it? I've been searching for the answer for a couple weeks now and can't seem to find a straight answer of yes or no lol I don't plan on tuning my own car anytime soon. Thanks In advance! Sorry for the noob question! Lol

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Best thing to do is talk to who gonna be tuning your car. See what they like to use. Some tuners can/will set you up with what you need and tune it.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
You can run neptune without buying a moates demon 2 but you need a dealer so they can burn a rom for you, hondata is a daughter board that gets installed into the ecu so it's either get it chipped or get it setup for hondata

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah icic, that makes sense. Yea i was reading on phearable and they said their chips could be retuned with any program, I just wasn't sure how to go about all that. But thanks for the quick replies!

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I believe when you "chip" an ecu your just installing a socket, after the socket is in then you either install a zif socket or install the hondata/neptune board into that. I ordered my ecu from xenocron and asked for hondata compatability (expected to upgrade later on from crome) and pwm boost control, they told me the ecu couldn't have both so I just went with the pwm components.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I believe when you "chip" an ecu your just installing a socket, after the socket is in then you either install a zif socket or install the hondata/neptune board into that. I ordered my ecu from xenocron and asked for hondata compatability (expected to upgrade later on from crome) and pwm boost control, they told me the ecu couldn't have both so I just went with the pwm components.

Yes and no. For a Hondata S300, male pins are soldered into the board where the socket for the chip would normally go. Basically, when you choose to set up an ecu for a chip, you are stuck with chip-based tuning or you can install pins in the socket to run a demon board. If you install the S300 pins from the start, the ecu will require an S300 to run the car. If I had pictures it would make more sense...

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Makes plenty of sense, only thing I don't get is why you can't use male pins in a socket for hondata like you can a moates demon

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
the pins used for a chip and socket are very short and not a good way to support the extra board that hondata uses imo.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Makes plenty of sense, only thing I don't get is why you can't use male pins in a socket for hondata like you can a moates demon
It would just raise the board up too high due to the extra height from the socket being there. You also need to think about the 4 pin datalogging header, it would be too short to reach the S300 board.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts