Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend has a D15 that we did a wet compression test on and the numbers were going up quite a bit two around 260 PSI from the start of about 150 average on all so we're thinking that it needs rings his smokes a good bit at high RPM. He bought another d15b7 and we're thinking about throwing it in butt he's going to throw on my turbo kit right after this so we could open up the gap on the Rings I'm thinking that a re ring job will be easier and cheaper to do and he could just sell the D15 what do you guys think

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
975 Posts
I would do one of those things ..

rering and gap but keep the good d15 for when he blows up this one up...

while its apart are upgraded rod and head bolts being installed, not a bad idea unless it;s already in the plan to have an expendable crew member...

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
if there were no piston rings and pumped oil was allowed into the cylinder during cranking, I dont think it would be up to 260

either your gauge is wrong, or you have far more trouble than you anticipate

smoking at high rpm can be as simple as valve stem seals going bad, which is such a common thing that it should be printed in red on any and all service manuals under "smoking issues" or "oil burning" catergory

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to defend the 250, I just got the same on mine with (presumably) worn rings. Average 190 on all cylinders, and after a few squirts of oil up to 250.
I was just going to pull the engine, get one of those ebay kits for around $300 and rebuild everything. Not sure how good they are, but can't get worse than it is...

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
if it jumps to that number, sure. But I guess I was going by how he mentioned it creeped up to his 260 or whatever.

Doing a wet test, it should not continue creeping. It should stabilize or at least plateau to some extent

EDIT check rockauto, they sell rebuild kits for a good price, have a good warranty if a shop does the labor, and gen erally provide decent quality parts.

an OEM rebuild is of course the best route, but spendy

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry we continued to put in more and more oil 3 or 4 times in a cycle and the numbers keep climbing and climbing.

We have the head off now and pistons out. Miced the cylinders with a hf caliper and the expandable slider tool forget what it's called. Taper and out of round all seem to be within .003 of each other so I'm thinking just throw em in? Npr rings should be here tomorrow, I'm trying to convince him to get the d15 h beam rods and I'll sell him my vitaras.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Sorry we continued to put in more and more oil 3 or 4 times in a cycle and the numbers keep climbing and climbing.

We have the head off now and pistons out. Miced the cylinders with a hf caliper and the expandable slider tool forget what it's called. Taper and out of round all seem to be within .003 of each other so I'm thinking just throw em in? Npr rings should be here tomorrow, I'm trying to convince him to get the d15 h beam rods and I'll sell him my vitaras.
in my opinion calipers are not nearly accurate enough to measure taper and out of round of a cylinder. I would atleast use the harbor freight micrometer set they have (if they make one big enough to fit over the snap gauge).

I have seen rings that were so sludged up that they wouldnt expand to the cylinder walls and blow clouds of smoke, re ring and clean the piston grooves and it blows clean. However bad valve stem seals and worn valve guides are also a very possible issue.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Only real way to clean the rings and shit good though, is a ton of time, plenty of diesel fuel, and the car to not be operated on in several days.

drain oil, leave filter on, use diesel in palce of oil, top off to oil cap, sit 24-48 hours, drain, fill normal with oil, turn motor over by hand 3-4 dozen times, drain oil/fuel mix, add fresh oil, idle for 30 minutes or so, check oil, if stained, drain adn refill, and call it good.

Best/cheapest/laziest way to super clean a motor and unstick shit.

Also a great way to find out of dirt or sludge has been sealing any leaks!! Prepare to get pissed on an old motor lol. oil pan gasket WILL leak most likely

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said we all ready pulled the head guess it's too late now but when we had the Pistons out the Rings actually look decent none of them are stuck or anything so it probably is bad valve stem seals so maybe we'll just throw my Z6 head on it just because that has really low miles on it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts