Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi!, i used only one layer (central layer) of the y8 gasket, any problem?
i have one week in operation normal with one layer, but,

some of you have done this before?
my build is:
  • d16y7 block
  • pm7 pistons
  • d16z6 head with two shaved
  • one layer gasket

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Wait, you took apart the stock Y8 MLS gasket and are only using the center stainless steel layer?

And the engine has been running for a week with no issues?

The stainless center layer doesn't seal by itself, the two outer layers and their embossments with the Viton coating are required to properly seal the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
[QUOTE = "drtalon123, publicación: 5160572, miembro: 124733"]
Espere, ¿desarmó la junta Y8 MLS de serie y solo está utilizando la capa central de acero inoxidable?

¿Y el motor ha estado funcionando durante una semana sin problemas?

La capa central de acero inoxidable no se sella sola, se requieren las dos capas externas y sus estampados con el revestimiento de Viton para sellar adecuadamente la cámara de combustión.
[/CITAR]

WE USE ONLY A SMALL COPPER SPRAY SEALER ON HIM SINCE THE HEAD HAD BEEN BRUSHED AND USED TWO MONTHS PRIOR TO RECONSTRUCTION.

In fact, the engine works OK

THE COMPRESSION OF THE CYLINDERS HAS NOT BEEN MEASURED, BECAUSE THAT IS THE PLAN TODAY IN THE AFTERNOON

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
12.99:1 holy shit

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Did you get the block and head shaved flat at the machine shop before reassembling the engine? If so, the total amount they took off of each is what you enter for "Head Milling and Block Decking".

What I'm getting at is, if you only used the center middle stainless plate of the OEM Y8 head gasket, there is technically nothing sealing the cylinders between the head and block (except your copper spray, which is RTV silicone with copper flakes in it).

MLS gaskets only seal properly when they are using ALL layers. Using only the flat stainless layer in the middle does nothing except act as a shim.

A flat piece of stainless can't seal or conform to imperfections at all, the only thing that is even remotely allowing your "shim" to seal is the copper spray, which is not designed to hold back combustion gas pressures. It will eventually blow at some point, especially if your static compression ratio numbers are true.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i understand my friend, tank you for comment.

today test of compression for references. and after install 2 layer head gasket for best sealler.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
This was a crazy idea and my friend and I decided to give it a try. the car feels good, and it pushes hard, but, as you say, at some point it could escape understanding elsewhere.
(y) for trying different stuff! Better to try and see what happens, than never at all!

I'm curious to know how long it lasts!

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(y) for trying different stuff! Better to try and see what happens, than never at all!

I'm curious to know how long it lasts!
XD me too..

my friend and I often follow the beaten track, but sometimes sanity leaves the workshop and leaves us alone with the tools XD

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi my friends.

Days ago take the compression of my sohc one layer, the numbers are arround 270psi avery cilinder, this is awesome for me, i never before see this number of compression, but, the problems with the high compression are see, we saw pression and oil in the coolant system, three days ago we change the head gasket fo head gasket two layer, in this time the numbers compression is around 210psi for any cilinder, difference of 60psi arround, in this configuration drive today an difference is notorius, when 270psi the car an pull is like a savage horse, and the pull in 2nd an 3rd shift be brutal for d series, i think maybe just like b series of street. so, when we changed to 2 layer the driving was smoother, still good pull on 2nd an 3rd shift.

the calculator compression mean are arround 12.5: 1, it´s more stable for drive and good number.

i think that we need also a pulley whith grade cam shaft for best timing. may be the next project whith other components for best calibration, head studs for more torque, and others more on the way.

To stop doing crazy things using a single sheet, we note that we can lower the block to around 1 millimeter because there were still margins with the piston and the head, but we will need degrees pulley in the camshaft, better fuel, and more robust injectors of at least 4 holes, in addition to uploading the car to the test bench (that is 5 hours from our town) Well guys, if you have comments or contributions to shed more light, I will read them with pleasure, I am here to learn and share the experiences, greetings!

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hello friends.
happy to greet you again.
after the compression started going to the cooling system I decided to leave the z6 head gasket normally, the compression is now between 215 and 240 psi, note; That is with the cam position as it says repair manual for the d16z6 head, but forward a tooth on the timing belt (aha because the adjustable pulley has not yet reached me) and I take compression between 220 and 250 psi, i see the variatión 15% solutión other time, may be defficient sealed valve, but, compression is not everything, which leads me to the next topic or discussion:
"cylinder filling efficiency." or also mentioned by
"advance or delay in valves" (in sohc that happens).

I have unknowns about it. please if there is another thread for this topic let me know to enter to read and comment on my early true or false conclusions that I would like to clear regards!

I fully understand that in dohc it is clearer because the advancement of the intake valve and the delay in the exhaust valve (valve crossing) are physically visible to create a sweep of burned gases and exchange them for fresh air for their filling.

but, what happens in the sohc with an oem camshaft, yesterday's test confirmed that there is a change in the filling when moving the opening and closing, what I have doubts is if this "greater filling" (because the test confirms it), it has affectations-gains in different rpm.
A mechanical master that I worked for when I was young told me at some point that the advance or delay of valves makes a variation in torque throughout rpm.
At the time I did not understand it and did not lay a foundation in my head for the subject, but yesterday when I saw the variation moving the opening-closing, my hamster in my head went to bring the subject that was littered in a corner.

if there is another thread please tell me to go and read the effects in the sohc or if you know something please i am to learn.

regards!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts