Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off the head from my d16y8 to replace head gasket and valve seals.

Put it all back together and the car won't turn over, it cranks but sounds like no compression.

It has spark, fuel, air and proper timing. When the crank pulley is at top dead on compression stroke, the cam pulley is pointing up.

The timing belt has some slack, but I don't see any slippage.

What could it be? As far as I know all the sensors are connected but I see a CEL for high voltage on coolant temp and vtec malfunction.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Double check all the connections again make sure everything is in the right spot. I would also double check the timing marks from the oil pump to the crank pulley, and if that's dead on then proceed with the cam gear timing marks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double check all the connections again make sure everything is in the right spot. I would also double check the timing marks from the oil pump to the crank pulley, and if that's dead on then proceed with the cam gear timing marks.

Am I able to do that with the lower timing belt cover on?

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Am I able to do that with the lower timing belt cover on?
You will have to remove the crank pulley and lower timing cover off. It sounds like you are off a tooth or so

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Check valve lash.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
How do I do that?
You need feeler gauges and a special tool or a flat screw driver and 10mm open end wrench. Stick feller gauge of the right size between the top of valve spring and bottom of rocker you should have a little drag. You can google it as I'm sure there's a ton of videos on it to help you understand better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I do that?
You need feeler gauges and a special tool or a flat screw driver and 10mm open end wrench. Stick feller gauge of the right size between the top of valve spring and bottom of rocker you should have a little drag. You can google it as I'm sure there's a ton of videos on it to help you understand better.
Alright I'll get em checked. Could this cause it to sound like I don't have compression while cranking?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
If the valves are open cause there to tight I would think that would cause it to sound like no compression.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How could the valves of gotten tightened? We didn't adjust them, just took off the rockers replaced seals and then put them back on

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Valves looks good, has a little play on cylinder 1 when tdc, in thinking timing belt could be off so I'll pull that off tonight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts