Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, can i run my car with the Greddy turbo kit and the stock p08 ECU with NO emanage? i mean JUST the stock ecu?

i mean can i run this, as a limp mode kind of thing? what are the side effects/ramifications of that? i am trying to troubleshoot to see if the ECU or chip is my problem.

thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
your gonna need a FMU probably 12:1 ratio...........that's the easy way out and the way i'm going to be running my turbo setup...but in the long run your gonna want that emanage (it's much safer)

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
You could unhook the actuator arm from the flapper valve on the turbo.

This way it wont spool so you dont have to worry about it.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can run it but you have money for new spark plugs every other day. lol just don't drive over 3000 rpms if you just need to get somewhere to fix it.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
^^^ yeah, what they said... just don't go into boost and you can drive it very very gently to a shop. You could even retard your ignition a little to be safer, but then you'll have no low end power and you'll be too tempted to step on it ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wait... so if i get an FMU and set it to 12:1 i can run that with my stock ECU... i mean that would be good enough to keep it running to sell it?

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Just dont boost over 6 psi with the FMU. It should be good enough for you to sell.

Oh, and guys, unhooking the actuator will not foul the plugs in any way. It wont dump in the extra fuel if the map sensor or FMU does not see boost.

I'd go crazy if I had to keep it under 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
I'd go crazy if I had to keep it under 3000 RPM.
Believe it or not, that's how I drove when I first got my civic... it had no tachometer and I thought I was close to redlining it when it got a little noisy. :) doh! having the tach made everything so clear... but it was hard to tell with the d15b7 by itself

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
makku said:
Believe it or not, that's how I drove when I first got my civic... it had no tachometer and I thought I was close to redlining it when it got a little noisy. :) doh! having the tach made everything so clear... but it was hard to tell with the d15b7 by itself
LMAO thtas funny. that would be a crappy redline. lol

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool, thanks guys.

where can i get an effective inexpensive FMU?

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Check the Classifieds or post in the WTB section. I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to sell them now that crome and uberdata became so popular.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what is "fmu" an acronym for? can i find them on ebay?

·
Registered
286 Posts
i 1st turbo my civic with no fmu nothing..drive it over 200miles before i did something to it..ran just fine untill u hit boost..then cel..it was cools because i dont have backup memory for my ecu so everytime i turn off my car it would reset the ecu...get a 12:1 fmu/missinglink and you should be good for 4-6psi...thats what i did and i was pushing high 15 in 1/4 in my 98EX coupe

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
Oh, and guys, unhooking the actuator will not foul the plugs in any way. It wont dump in the extra fuel if the map sensor or FMU does not see boost. .
uh wait that won't let the wastegate open then. then he will be able to boost way past what he can handle. the actuator needs to see boost so it can open the wastegate.
maybe if you hold it open the wastegate, then maybe it will always be bypassing the turbine and make it less prone to boost soon.:beer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts