Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll be doing a Y7/Y8 Swap with a K4F tranny in my EK hatch in a couple weekends. Before then I'm going to pull the stock tranny to bring the flywheel to the machine shop and I'm bringing my Y8 head at the same time to get decked etc....

While this is happening I would love to throw in some ZC pistons to bump the compression a bit. I know it's better to bring the block in to get honed at the machine shop etc. but that means full dismantle, all new bearings etc. which I don't want to do. I'm looking at just taking the old rods/pistons out and putting the same rods back in with the new pistons.

-Do I replace the rod bearings or reuse the stock ones?
-Do I do a home hone job before dropping the pistons in?
-Re-use the stock rod bolts or is there ARP ones?

I tried searching...sorry if I missed it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
yeah you can do this without a problem as long as you are patient and careful

First:
don't ever reuse bearings. replace them. its cheap, cheaper then getting a new bottom end after spinning a bearing. also make sure you color match them and check the clearances on them too, if the clearances are not right, get them right before reassembly.

Second:
yes you will want to hone the block if you can't see any factory crosshatching left. check out this thread here for pointers on how to hone it correctly. also depending on the mileage of the engine you may have a small ridge at the top of each bore.
the ridge will look similar to this
if you do have a ridge like that, you will need to remove these ridges before removing the pistons. if you don't you will damage the pistons and rings when you remove and install them.

also while the rods are out have them shot peened.

Third:
don't ever reuse rod bolts or main bolts. they are the stretch type meaning they are a one time use. after that if you remove them you replace them. they too are also cheaper then getting a new bottom end.

Fourth:
this maybe a no brainer but still get new rings and check the ring gap clearances before installing them. also make sure the ring gaps are pointed the right way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts