Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
i would like to. they are the next coilovers i will be trying. they look great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FACTS:
'00 DX hatchback. Car is 100% stock.
Omnipower Sport Coilovers 12k (648 lbs) frt - 10k (540 lbs) rear
Installed per KTeller's preload instructions.
Very easy installation and adjustment of collars.
Reversed rates for 10k front and 12k rear to induce more rotation on track with no sway currently in place.
Car lowered 1.25" all around from stock.
No re-alignment performed.

IMPRESSIONS:
Car rides A LOT stiffer. If memory serves me correctly OE rates are somewhere in the area of 140 lbs frt - 99 lbs rear. The car has a bounce to it similar to an over-dampened feel, yet takes big bumps (train tracks) with a nice feel. Consulted KTeller with impressions. Comments; 1) Omni does not recommend reversing rates and has experienced past comments to "bouncing feel" when this has been done, 2) re-check preload and reduce as needed, 3) 10k/12k is just "firm" on the street.

QUESTIONS/SOLUTIONS:
1. Preload - This has been a hotly debated topic on the H-T board in reference to the ride quality of these shocks. While the KTeller instructions tell you how to perform it, they do not specify more than "add 0.5" preload." Upon measurement I have 0.7 - 0.8" preload on the shocks from the top of the threaded shock rod - lower side of the 19mm lock nut. I plan to re-adjust these to 0.4" and see if compliance increases.

2. If #1 fails to help I will order a set of 8k springs and swap the rates to 8k (432 lbs) frt - 10k (540 lbs) rear and retest. Only ordered Sport versions because they were the only version on sale when I ordered them from Modacar. Got them for $535 shipped. :p

Overall I have been happy with my purchase but need more time to determine if the compliance can be adjusted to my tastes. For the record, I've owned a heavily modded ITR with 11k/8k coilovers and a stock S2K so I've very familiar with "firm" ride characteristics. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Update 01.15.05 - After conversations with some instructor level drivers I decided to eliminate all preload on the suspension. I was told that preload should only be used to corner weight the car for better balance. Essentially, at full suspension droop (car elevated) I wanted just enough preload to prevent spring movement. The ride has changed dramatically! No longer do I get a bounce from driving and the shocks seem a lot smoother. The ride is still very firm but a lot more tolerable with no loss in performance. I'm much happier.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have the omni sports on my car. I installed them per the instructions that omni sent me. My opinion? I think they're great! Every one kept saying they were REALLY stiff and what not, I was almost afraid that they would beat me up once I put them on. The first time I drove the car with them on I was extremely satisfied. They are perfect, stiff, but not too stiff.

·
Registered
95 Cx Hatchback
820 Posts
BEWARE Omni has a recall on all true coilovers. They say the lower collars break. Its a manufacture defect.
Clicky Pow There is one picture. Just make sure they have the bigger collar on them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ReDemoN said:
BEWARE Omni has a recall on all true coilovers. They say the lower collars break. Its a manufacture defect.
Clicky Pow There is one picture. Just make sure they have the bigger collar on them.
Has this problem been fixed yet? I just had mine installed a couple of weeks ago, should I be worried?

·
Registered
854 Posts
you should be worried. there is no "formal" recall. talk to the dealer you bought them from to get the re-designed/stronger lower cups.

if you don't get them for free or if they hassle you, threaten legal action with a class action lawsuit from all the other people on H-T that have this problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
DOHCDX said:
you should be worried. there is no "formal" recall. talk to the dealer you bought them from to get the re-designed/stronger lower cups.

if you don't get them for free or if they hassle you, threaten legal action with a class action lawsuit from all the other people on H-T that have this problem.
How do I know that I did or didn't get the re-designed/stronger lower cups? I got mine on in the mail on the 15th of July. Is that recent enough to have the new ones or not?

·
D-Series.org Sponsor
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any issues that Omni has had have been work on and worked out. All the lower sleeves/collers have been replaced and warrantyed by Omni.

The MC issue is also found to be due to the fluid eating thru the seals. This issue has also be fixed but some of the units out need to be replaced. Units sold now will have more info on the fluid needs and install instructions.

If you are interested in the Omni deal i linked into this reply let us know. We use OMNI on every car we race and drive on the streets.

Jason Whitfield

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
RageRacing & Omni = good for u.

Maybe off topic...
Purchased a set of Omni slipovers from Rage. The BEST customer service I've ever recieved. Thank you Shanin and Jason. The slipovers are very nice!

-ic

·
Registered
342 Posts
i run the omnis with the sport rates......have 0 preload so i can be nice and low daily drivin but bring it back up a bit and run it like RStoR does for the auto-x.

very pleased with them and agree that they are..."firm"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts