Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was like it's not raining outside what tha hell are these drops all over my windshield!?! It's a freekin' mess!!!

What caused this?

The dipstick blew up out of the tube. Oil splattered the fuk all over from the oil dipstick hole. I have the stock PVC system and only running 10psi. I do have a ported and shimmed oil pump. Vitara/I-beams, stock head, stock everything else, and Edelbrock #1500 kit.
I only have like 2,000 miles on my build and I just turned the boost up to 10psi yesterday.
I think it was the combination of turning up the boost w/ the stock PVC system, am I on the right track? I never had this problem before the build running 10-11.5psi! What could this be from?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
PVC... hehe

the source of your problem is your stock PCV system

change it to an open atmosphere setup (easiest) or run a slash cut in your exhaust

with a stock PCV setup you are pressurizing your crank case since its connected to your intake manifold. :)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yup, get rid of the stock pcv, plug that hole or use it for vacuum, and just vent the hose to a box.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I say something is wrong with your stock pcv system. cause 10psi isn't enough to do this. I know a few people running stock pcv at this boost level.

Your venting the valve cover to the atmo. right? with a filter or leaving it open.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I say something is wrong with your stock pcv system. cause 10psi isn't enough to do this. I know a few people running stock pcv at this boost level.

Your venting the valve cover to the atmo. right? with a filter or leaving it open.
i think some cars are different causing different boost pressure to make the dipstick pop. it also depends on how well/new your dipstick is also because sometimes the grommets on the DS is loose causing it to blow with less pressure.

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did change my oil yesterday if possibly that could have had something to do with it.

UGG!!!
I did have it w/ a filter on the valve cover. (yesterday)

I did have it going open w/ a filter, but I currently have a bad idle so I put it back to stock, VC to post intake filter. Shit! that's what changed and probably caused this. I was troubleshooting my bad idle by following the Diagonostic procedures which says to ensure the PVC system is functioning properly; so I put it back to stock. It seemed to help my idle

Shit, my own bad, I guess that's what caused it ;)
I will be doing the catch-can setup for the PVC side
and
put the little airfilter back on the VC

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
if you REALLLLLY wanted to, you could run a line from the VC nipple to your pre-turbo air intake (emulating a stock setup, since your charge piping is now "charged" when you build boost)

but i would just vent it to a catch can or the ground (if you dont track the car)

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sidenote:
I think I figured out my idle problem yesterday; when I turn on the lights, AC, or anything electrical the idle drops waaayy low which I was adjusting idle and troubleshooting the IACV and everything idle related. but I asked my neighbor and he said check the battery and altenator w/ a meter, duh, so I did and when I turn the AC on it drops to 10volts. I was planning to go to Autozone to test it today but then the oil blew all over!

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you REALLLLLY wanted to, you could run a line from the VC nipple to your pre-turbo air intake (emulating a stock setup, since your charge piping is now "charged" when you build boost)

but i would just vent it to a catch can or the ground (if you dont track the car)
Dan,
Yeah, that is what I meant by putting it back to stock, the Edlebrock turbo kit has a line from VC to pre-turbo intake. So I will just go back and vent it.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
eww

with how much vacuum that nipple would see at full boost, think about how much oil you would be pulling from the VC into the engine through the turbo and IC. yuck

i just dump mine on the ground :cool:

catchcan in progress though

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
anytime you boost a car you need to change the stock pcv system....the stock is meant for vac not boost...hopefully you only popped out the dipstick and not all you seals....venting to the ground is the easiest solution but a can is optimal if you like a clean bay

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
eww

with how much vacuum that nipple would see at full boost, think about how much oil you would be pulling from the VC into the engine through the turbo and IC. yuck

i just dump mine on the ground :cool:

catchcan in progress though
no you wouldnt, if you built a proper oil "catch" can setup. you dont do it where its pulling hard #s of vacuum. also cant just stick it right pre turbo, it has to be in the tube at an angle, or all the air that comes rushing pst the vacuum hose will push air up into the hose and not do a damn thing.

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think I blew it up!!!!

I think I blew it up!!!! It's like my car regergatated

Last night on my way home from work, the car is blowing smoke out the VC nipple and bellowing out the exhaust. All the way home and even after I fixed the PVC system it's still blowing smoke out both ends. I had oil all up in my intercooler piping. Cleaned the pipes. Changed the oil, no water; no oil in the water. I havn't ran it hard today since it's smoking but it seems to be running fine... What should I check/troubleshoot next or should I run it a while?

Well I made a homemade catchcan out of a spray paint can, I'll get some pics up tonight, hopefully.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts