Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as a few of you know Ive had terrible exhaust issues.

First I bought a "Custom Exhaust" from another guy with a coupe.....and it didnt work out. It has an ebay muffler, the hangers all broke, and had shatty welds.

So I bought an Greddy Evo2. Told myself to buy quality. Wouldnt you guess, it was meant for a hatch and didnt fit my car and the guy wouldnt give me my money back (Wonderful)

So I was browsing on Ebay (scary I know) and among the "Fireball" wanna be's and the "JDM N1 Spec y0!" exhausts I found the Holley/Airmass Thundermuff + Header combo.(My DC Sport had a huge dent in it and a few smaller ones)

I looked around (found a sound clip on youtube) and most people liked it and LOVED the price, and being a name brand (in the domestic world) + having the funniest name ever (ThunderMuff) I bought. Shipped to my front door was $193.

The o2 Bunghole in the header was a bit off center, so I have to get that fixed, but overall things went great. Good packaging, all hardware, instructions even a wicked sticker (sarcasm)

Somewhere around here I have a pic of the stock exhaust, but I think we all know what a stock DX exhaust looks like.

Anyway, everytime I looked at it (before my buddy came over to help) I could get over the HUGE tip. The Greddy Evo is 4.5 and this one is 5 so I told me there was no way that the extra 1/2" was THAT big a difference. It was all in my head.

So then I got it on, walked and viewed it from far away and OH MY DAMN its huge. After browsing some more, I found a TON of people saying how HUGE it was. Amazing how I DIDNT find these before I bought it. :(

So overall 9/10 for install 10/10 for price and 7/10 for total package.

I know my car is a bit dirty. It had just rained and I just couldnt wait.

:TTIWWP:

Oh yea....almost forgot.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
get it right jew, its 16.5hp lolz

· El Noob
98 Civic EX/ 86 MR2
4,858 Posts
LOL, had that exhaust with dc headers. Loved it. Although a little big.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
ouch. Well. I guess I had that coming. How about HOLY 5" TIP BATMAN?
lol, sorry man, i was just commenting on jews comment. it actually doesnt look that bad, and bolt on for 193, not too bad. does it sound ok? is it raspy or no?

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to take the downpipe to a muffler shop for the o2 bung thing, so the car hasnt been started, but here is a vid that gives a good idea.

I love the guy at the end. He's HIGH-larious.

Highlarious THUNDER MUFF MOVIE

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I installed my header today, after a little fixing a small problem I had, and took the Slow-vic for a drive.

First impressions...... It sounds goooood. It rattles a tad when its cold, but once it warms up, it sounds real good. Sounds a lot like my buddies custom catback which he paid a lot more for.

Is it loud? Of course. But at idle it cant be noticed, and under light throttle, it sounds like any other catback, under WOT, it sounds like a pissed off mother. My buddy said it scared him LOL.

· Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
3,539 Posts
I have the same problem with the huge tip. I bought a Tsudo Type-X cat back off of ebay, good quality welds, sounds awesome (really not that loud, apparently because, according to the ebay listing, they use slightly thicker steel), and a big ass 4.5" tip ... I'm probably going to buy a borla or magnaflow universal muffler and have it welded on. It's not terrible ... just not my style.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have the same problem with the huge tip. I bought a Tsudo Type-X cat back off of ebay, good quality welds, sounds awesome (really not that loud, apparently because, according to the ebay listing, they use slightly thicker steel), and a big ass 4.5" tip ... I'm probably going to buy a borla or magnaflow universal muffler and have it welded on. It's not terrible ... just not my style.
I know what u mean man. Those "N1" wanna be;s werent my style, and I came across this and since I love the sound of the Greddy Evo i thought it might be similar, since they look a LOT a like.

I was right. And for 193 for Header and Exhaust, I'll take it. I might chop off the tip and just add small piping exiting the rear, but thats in the DISTANT future.

And really, it was more of a supporting mod for when I get the cam in.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I might chop off the tip and just add small piping exiting the rear, but thats in the DISTANT future.
Well the time has come.

I finally got fed up with the tip like everyone told me I was going to and got that sucket chopped off. To put in its place was a nice Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler. Sounds SOOOOOO much better. Its indescribable.

The before pics are above. No real change. I am taking a bunch of pics tomorrow (hopefully), but for now a couple teasers and a vid.

· Registered
98 Civic
1,284 Posts
Haha the good ol' thunder muff... I ran that on my car for a while... you cant beat 150 shipped for a full mandrel bent aluminum cat back.

But yeah the can sucks balls... i just swapped mine out for a Thermal R&D rear section. :clown:

· Registered
98 Civic
1,284 Posts
and for theose of you who havent seen this fart can in real life... Its damn near the size of a propane tank for a grill hahaha

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea the camera is a POS. I dont know why. Tomorrow I should have a better one.

After the muffler shop hacked it off, they said I could keep it to remind me to stay away from crap.

They installed the thundermuff backwards...I wonder if that makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.