Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some background, Drivetrain: Ex S20 Transmission w/Hasport auto to man mount.

Somehow my transmission never had studs, just bolts for the original mount. When I swapped to the Hasport mount(which is much thicker then stock) I stripped out half the threads in the case.

I'd use longer studs but can't find any anywhere. So I figure I'll just tap the case to 1/2"-13 and use threaded rod from Lowe's(they don't have M12 rod nor anyone else). Upon inspect of the case I find that one of the threaded holes(the one for the M12x20 bolt) is drilled all the way through the case! Why in the hell did Honda design it like this?

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

I really don't feel like splitting the case open, but need to fix the threads. How should I do this? Dare I say it, but put a little JB Weld on the threads of a 30mm M12 stud and hope it has enough threads left to bite. That way the JB weld will bond the stud in the hole???

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a spare y7 case and it too has the hole drilled all the way through. I don't have the time or money to swap a case right now so I'm stuck...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
u realize if you tap that your gonna get shaving and shit in the case
Yea that's why I said
Dare I say it, but put a little JB Weld on the threads of a 30mm M12 stud and hope it has enough threads left to bite???
I know it isn't the right way of fixing the problem, but I'm broke and can't afford to split the case open. I can tap the other two holes bigger and they will do most of the work..

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I know it isn't the right way of fixing the problem, but I'm broke and can't afford to split the case open. I can tap the other two holes bigger and they will do most of the work..
JB Weld is a patch, not a fix. Fix the problem don't patch it!

Old football coach use to say, "do it right do it light, do it wrong do it long". Corny but I hope you get the point.

Listen to Sleepingciv's advice!!!!!!! Pull the case and tap it the right way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts