Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can one of you directly help me I'm tired of searching and all these newjacks (like myself) get all off topic and say "just k swap" blah blah blah how many pounds of boost can I safely boost on a complete stock 01 em2 with i/h/e. sorry if you have to repeat something you've previously said but everywhere I search people just say "k swap" or "d's are shit" so can someone please tell me the truth.

·
Registered
2004 Civic
3 Posts
I know how you feel - been there
I'm a proud owner of a em2 since 4 month now and found prety mutch same things as you.

i/h/e - I never get any proof of result of this. Some people told they had feel a difference but it did not give really give a good power gain

turbo - few kit exist to bold of a d17, from what I understand you can run up to 8 psi with out internal mod but all turbo is closely link with the ECU tuning.

I'm noob so don't quote me on this

is some people with N/A D17 real life experience can share there knowledge?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I have the bolt ons I wanna build a boost kit but I don't want to buy the 3k one that's too much for only boostin 8 lbs

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic LX
439 Posts
speedfoos - search his threads

lurk around the site a bit and you will see that its not how much psi you can safely push, but how much horsepower you can safely push. Even then the better the tune, the more power your stock block can handle.

There will be a general number, but unfortunately there aren't an over abundance of 7th gen owners on this forum.

hope this helps -

http://www.d-series.org/forums/search.php?searchid=2597552

·
Registered
01 civic lx
310 Posts
no such thing of how much boost can you handle a real big part is the size of the turbo how much CFM can i flow like 10psi on a 16g compared to a 10psi on a gt35r is a big ass difference

·
Registered
83 Posts
speedfoos - search his threads

lurk around the site a bit and you will see that its not how much psi you can safely push, but how much horsepower you can safely push. Even then the better the tune, the more power your stock block can handle.

There will be a general number, but unfortunately there aren't an over abundance of 7th gen owners on this forum.

hope this helps -

http://www.d-series.org/forums/search.php?searchid=2597552
Exactly. You'd be fine at 250 with stock internals, assuming you run kpro and have a decent tune. I'd say 300 would be ok. You could possibly get by with more but much over 300 and I'd say it's about time to build.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
Exactly. You'd be fine at 250 with stock internals, assuming you run kpro and have a decent tune. I'd say 300 would be ok. You could possibly get by with more but much over 300 and I'd say it's about time to build.
IDK, Have you seen the spindly rods that come with the D17?

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Like Andy mentioned, its all in the engine management and the tune. Rods are good insurance if something goes south, but bad detonation on a F/I rod is just as bad as, well, bad detonation on a stock rod. If you're doing something with the engine that is going to bend/break a stock rod, then stouter F/I rods are just going to delay the inevitable.

But yeah, I would say 250-300 if you're running a standalone and pay a reliable tuner to dial it in.

On a piggyback, I wouldn't run more than 200-225 unless you plan on rebuilding.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for everyone that posted, I'm trying to get around 200hp. now with that said as long as I got a good tune (some shops in mind? like is the dealer good?) and a new ecu (any recommended?) 200hp isn't bad on a non-built d17a2?

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Yeah, i've broken stuff on mine with stock internals at 260whp, but I don't think built internals would have prevented what broke (shredded main bearing, not spun thank god).

Oklahoma tuners? Got me man. You can't take you car to a dealer to get tuned.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, i've broken stuff on mine with stock internals at 260whp, but I don't think built internals would have prevented what broke (shredded main bearing, not spun thank god).

Oklahoma tuners? Got me man. You can't take you car to a dealer to get tuned.
haha so honestly you think 200peak hp i'm good to go cause it will be my DD until i save up for a lil put put
and i may have to go to texas to get it tuned.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
200 peak HP should be good. :TU:

Good Luck.
thank you!
i'm goin to start saving up for a kit asap after i get my rota d2's and fog lights. ;D

i think i'm going to piece together my own kit versus buying a 2k kit and only boosting at 8-10psi kind of a waste you know

·
Registered
311 Posts
remeber cheap and fast isint reliable go with k pro and buy the dezod kit theres a reason why some low boost kits are expensive......quality=reliability

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am on stock bottom end pushing 265 whp at the moment. That's at 8 psi. I dropped valves and destroyed two pistons a month ago. Block is being disasembled and rebuilt as we speak.

The only reason I'm only running 8 psi is because the tune was on 8.8:1 c/r pistons and I'm now at 9.9:1 and don't want to destroy it by pushing too much on an untuned bottom end.

Previously, I ran 15 psi with a different turbo (right at 300 whp) for over 9 months. When I pulled the motor, the entire bottom end was pristine from the piston dishes to the bearings.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts