Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am basically compelty my crx build. here are stats to start with so u gusy know what i am dealing with..

89 crx si
d16z6
obd1 boom slang harness and obd1 xenocron distributor harness
tuner toy rods and vitara pistons
obx fuel rail/regulator/guage
custom made mini ram manifold, t3/t4 57 trim ebay turbo, wastegate, BOV
custom 2.5" piping/ all t-bolt clams
dsm 450cc injectors
lc-1 wideband
crome
chipped p28
moates ostrich emulator and burn1 chip burner with honda log
brand new bkr7e's gapped to .28
brand new cap/rotor and nology hot wires

my problem:

car starts and runs. on initial start up and when checking spark it seems very strong. motor seems to run well. after a few minutes it seems the problems start. its like its runnng on 3 cylinders. but not always the same cylinder seems to be the issue.

during initial testing the number 3 cylinder seems to be the issue. appeared that there was no fuel gettng to the cylinder. i removed the injector and switched with the number 4 cylinder. same problem with #3 though. i check spark. it seemed weak. orangy colour but it was there. plug seemed dry. i checked the injector plug with a test light and power was getting to the plug. at this point i gave up for the night

went back at it a few days later and tried again. same problem. seemed t run good at first then stared the rough idle. number 2 seemed to be not firing this time. same issue with the spark. looked very weak.

car has 3 main ground. 2 guage off the transmission. 8 guage off the valve cover and 4 guage off the battery to the strut tower(battery is trunk relocated with 0 guage positive wire)

i am not really sure what i should be checking at this point. map is good. ran the car all last year no issues(was in a 93 hatch chassis) computer is good(works in 3 seperate cars all with different motors) everything appears to be correct. i did testing on the coil as per hondas specs. checking ohm resitance in the distributor. checked wires resistance to make sure they were good and all checked out. i am stumped

so here i sit pleading with my d series brothers to come up with some ideas. my last assumption is something is going inside the distributor. once it warms up it stops working correctly. all help is appreciated

pics for reference

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did testing on the coil as per hondas specs. checking ohm resitance in the distributor. checked wires resistance to make sure they were good and all checked out.
it has brand new cap rotor plugs and wires. and the coil checked out as far as i can test it. but it is a very probable candidate. i am looking for a z6 distributor to try out. unfortunatly i dont have 100 bucks to drop on a coil to see if thats the problem. what methods are there to test coils?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Grab a stock dizzy from the junkyard off a running motor. Throw that on, see if it changes. Otherwise, remember that resistance increases as things warm up. if your plug wires are too close to a ground, they'll drop current and the spark will fail. Other'n at make sure your coils aren't gettin too warm. heat = resistance = voltage drop.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it would never start on a stock ecu. with 450cc injectors the signal would be off for the injector. and the ecu is not the issue. it works in 3 seperate cars. if the ecu was the problem it would not work in other cars.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
^I'd agree w/ the plug wire issue. Stick an old stock set on, if the problem goes away I'd then just go with a set of NGK wires.
Make sure your harness ground is grounded well.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
these wires are much better then stock. the first thing i tried was a brand new set of ngk wires. they are not the issue. if u actually test these wires VS stock wires its very easy to tell they are better. the resistance is about 1/4 of what stock wires are.the spark was much shittier with the oem ones compared to the nology. i am pretty sure it is the coil. only thing that could possibly casue the spark to decrease once hot. i am trying to get a good working coil to test my theory.

go autoworks - what do u mean by make sure my harness is grounded? do u mean the conversion harness? i didnt think there was a seperate ground for the harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts