Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The z6 in my 95 civic died and i replaced it with a junkyard engine that works and sounds good the problem was i got about a quarter mile from home and the oil pressure light started flashing so I babied it all the way back home and on the way it stayed on. the question i have is there is a slight bend in the bottom of the oil pan and i was curious as to whether the bend could be causing the low oil pressure or would it more than likeley be the oil pump. I am new to the honda engines and not sure of the clearences on the pickup to pan and whether a bend could cause it not to get any oil? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
314 Posts
A dent shouldn't cause low oil pressure. That light will come on for a few reasons.

1: the oil pump is not picking up oil, because there is none or very little to pick up
2: the oil pump itself cannot hold proper pressure, failing oil pump.
3: if the motor was apart, and wasnt primed, the turbine could be freewheeling, which will destroy the pump after a few miles.
4: wrong weight/viscosity motor oil, if an engine is ran with heavy oil, oil pressure will be lower because it takes more power to move heavier oils, 5W-30 is OE.
5: this could be the case, but if the dent is severe enough, it could have put the oil pickup tube in a position where it could not pickup enough oil to maintain pressure.
6:Main/Rod journal bearings excessively worn or damaged, spun bearing, not very likely if it still runs fine.

There are many possibilities, but if you know the history of the motor, or ask the person who had it before you what he did, this can point you to a cause or solution, these are just possibilities, and i strongly suggest you find the previous owner and ask for some honest answers, and make you best judgement based on that. In the meantime, check to see if you put enough oil in, and if it was the right weight.

If this still doesnt help, repost.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didn't realize that heavier oils would cause less pressure. The engine is supposed to have high miles so I put a 40 weight oil in it. I will drain it in the morning and put the 30 weight in that it calls for and install a oil pressure guage. Another question is does the management need the stock oil presure guage to be installed because I was just going to hook up the aftermarket guage to watch exactly what the pressure was doing and when? Thanks for all your help

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks slowcivic2k I believe you were correct the oil pump probably was being starved but it was becsuse the pickup for the oilpump was clogged with little bits of derbis. I think whenever the car sat there was enough time for them to fall off of the screen and allow it to act normally but when the oil started to circulate it clogged up bit by bit and didn't allow the pump to pick up amymore oil. Once again thanks for your help.

Turns out the spring in the oil pump was the problem I changed it out with one from my blown engine and it works perfect now. Wierd problem I guess but you may want to check that before you buy a new pump if anyone has the same problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts